• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OOPs EU get the lawyers in and miss out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    They've changed their mind about the article 16 shenanigans.

EU in U-turn over move to control vaccine exports to Northern Ireland | World news | The Guardian

Brussels has been forced into a humiliating U-turn in the face of outrage in London and Dublin after seeking to trigger a Brexit deal clause to establish border controls on vaccine doses moving into Northern Ireland from the Republic.

The European commission was forced to backtrack on its plan to effectively erect a vaccine border on the island of Ireland after both Boris Johnson and the Irish taoiseach, Micheál Martin, spoke personally to its president, Ursula von der Leyen.

EU sources said it had acted “in error” but the crisis highlighted the growing political furore over the lack of vaccine supply and tensions with the UK.
    Yeah the ROI government were furious as well as hadn't been consulted over the invoking of Article 16.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
      After years of negotiating for no hard border in Ireland and 20 odd days into a EU deal

the EU play the NI card

COVID-19: PM expresses 'grave concerns' over EU controls on Northern Ireland vaccine exports | UK News | Sky News

Suddenly realising it is a back door into the EU.

They really are trying to cover their backsides.

"Boris Johnson has expressed his "grave concerns" to EU chief Ursula von der Leyen over Brussels' decision to introduce controls on the export of COVID-19 vaccines from the bloc to Northern Ireland.

The prime minister had previously called on the EU to "urgently clarify its intentions" and Number 10 said it was considering action over the move to potentially stop the unimpeded flow of jabs into the region.

Brussels on Friday triggered Article 16 of the Northern Ireland Protocol that forms part of the Brexit withdrawal deal.

Stormont's First Minister Arlene Foster described the EU move as an "incredible act of hostility" that places a "hard border" between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic over the vaccine supply chain".
      EU have managed to do what no one else has, unite all 5 parties in the assembly together
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

This thread proves remainers are equal in stupidity to Brexiters; as a remainer the protection of EU as some kind of infallible entity is asinine. The EU has done real damage to its image this week.

DAVOS 2021: Japan and Korea attack EU's vaccine nationalism

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
          This thread proves remainers are equal in stupidity to Brexiters; as a remainer the protection of EU as some kind of infallible entity is asinine. The EU has done real damage to its image this week.

DAVOS 2021: Japan and Korea attack EU's vaccine nationalism
          I imagine that British politicians will congratulate the EU if Astra Zeneca start exporting vaccines to the EU according to the EU contract, which explicitly lists the UK as a supplier.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            I imagine that British politicians will congratulate the EU if Astra Zeneca start exporting vaccines to the EU according to the EU contract, which explicitly lists the UK as a supplier.
            Thanks for proving the point I was making.

Comment

Alright for some: Protocol promise: PM in vow to trigger Article 16 if trading difficulties worsen - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Pot, kettle...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                Thanks for proving the point I was making.
                The UK have done an excellent job of hogging all the vaccines they manufacture themselves by using a confidential clause in the contract with Astra-Zeneca whereas EU countries have been exporting vaccines to countries without local vaccine manufacturing capability, as well as the UK! and shifting the blame of vaccine nationalism onto the EU.

respect!
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

The UK have done an excellent job of hogging all the vaccines they manufacture themselves by using a confidential clause in the contract with Astra-Zeneca whereas EU countries have been exporting vaccines to countries without local vaccine manufacturing capability, as well as the UK! and shifting the blame of vaccine nationalism onto the EU.

respect!
                  So prudence and effective supply is now to be known as hogging?

I expect you support the World Health Organisation urging the UK to pause its vaccination programme once vulnerable groups have received their jabs to help ensure the global rollout is fair

Comment

Its impressive the way the EU has created so much moral high ground that Bozo could build a strip club and bordello on it and yet still look good.

Markus Söder, the Bavarian premier and Germany's possible future chancellor, told ZDF television on Friday that it was his impression that the commission "ordered too late, and only bet on a few companies, they agreed on a price in a typically bureaucratic EU procedure and completely underestimated the fundamental importance of the situation."
                    Former Swedish prime minister Carl Bildt wrote on Twitter that he "had hoped not to see [the European Union] leading the world down the destructive path of vaccine nationalism".
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The UK have done an excellent job of hogging all the vaccines they manufacture themselves by using a confidential clause in the contract with Astra-Zeneca whereas EU countries have been exporting vaccines to countries without local vaccine manufacturing capability, as well as the UK! and shifting the blame of vaccine nationalism onto the EU.!
                      That explains why Boris was pissed at Nicola when she published vaccine delivery table because “UK might get gazumped”.

Comment

Working...
                      X