• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OOPs EU get the lawyers in and miss out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OOPs EU get the lawyers in and miss out?

Europe's vaccine war: Brussels releases AstraZeneca contract | Daily Mail Online

Europe's vaccine war: Brussels releases AstraZeneca contract, claiming it shows Britain MUST export doses to them - as EU loses out again by failing to tie up Novavax deal while UK secured 60 million doses in AUGUST

• Brussels has published its contract with AstraZeneca in the hopes of forcing firm to hand over UK-made jabs
    • EU wants the jabs to make up for shortfalls in Europe, while AstraZeneca says the supply chains are separate
    • In fresh embarrassment for the EU, it emerged the bloc has not yet signed a deal to buy Novavax vaccines
    • Meanwhile the UK, which will make the jabs, signed a deal for 60million doses way back in August last year
    • EU's vaccine roll-out is in chaos due to delays and supply issues that has seen UK far outpace its neighbours
    Maybe pack the lorries at fishing ports and surround them with fresh fish to keep them cold?

Separately, EU Justice Commissioner Didier Reynders ramped up the rhetoric further by accusing the UK of starting 'a vaccine war' and accused Britain of showing 'a lack of solidarity'.'The EU commission has pushed to co-ordinate the vaccines contracts on behalf of the 27 precisely to avoid a vaccines war between EU countries, but maybe the UK wants to start a vaccine war?
    'Solidarity is an important principle of the EU. With Brexit, it's clear that the UK doesn't want to show solidarity with anyone,' he told the BBC.

Feck me how the hell did he manage to climb on that high horse without cracking up. Maybe we should offer them some vaccines if they just bow down to us?
    Last edited by vetran; 29 January 2021, 15:34.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Coronavirus: EU confirms export controls on vaccines - BBC News

Comment

Oh so if the UK had done that I suspect you and other remoaners would consider it unreasonable, as the UK sites are the ones with the highest capacity if the EU do that we would probably have to reciprocate and they would get no UK manufactured doses.

There seems to be lots of screaming and throwing accusations not a lot of solidarity.

Comment

Meh, plenty for everyone, the UK have ordered over 350 million doses across 7 different vaccines according to the beeb:
        Covid vaccine: Single dose Covid vaccine 66% effective

So unless the whole UK population (estimated to be close to 70 million) requires multiple different vaccines there should be plenty if delivery is swift enough.

Though how many are being produced inside the EU and it looking at protectionist 'me first' measures is unclear. The latest 'Janssen' vaccine is from a Belgium company but maybe like AZ they have manufacturing plants outside the EU so not tied to their dictator-like ways.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

UK appears to had done it first by (quietly) getting order specifically to be fulfilled by UK manufacturing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Oh so if the UK had done that I suspect you and other remoaners would consider it unreasonable, as the UK sites are the ones with the highest capacity if the EU do that we would probably have to reciprocate and they would get no UK manufactured doses.

There seems to be lots of screaming and throwing accusations not a lot of solidarity.
            Wars have been started over less (invisible WMDs, oil, ...) so with a pandemic shattering economies it's no surprise countries are putting their population first, it's the first principal of government.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              UK appears to had done it first by (quietly) getting order specifically to be fulfilled by UK manufacturing
              Perhaps they learned from the PPE fiasco last year, it's easier to guarantee supply if have full control over it.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Strange the deal was reported on the beeb & in all the papers.

so the Third Party out negotiated them and the EU are crying foul? Who would have thought it?

Did the EU not know the UK was leaving?

I reckon AZ should employ French & Dutch customs to look at the contract and spot any missing commas or misplaced full stops!

Maybe we can offer to sell them some doses for concessions on the trade deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  Perhaps they learned from the PPE fiasco last year, it's easier to guarantee supply if have full control over it.
                  Yes makes sense, however if later Astra can’t fulfil other orders it’s not going to look good and other people who control supply chain will reciprocate (obviously)

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                    Wars have been started over less (invisible WMDs, oil, ...) so with a pandemic shattering economies it's no surprise countries are putting their population first, it's the first principal of government.

Indeed but spare us the righteous indignation, they proved they were willing to screw us over, now we have done a better deal they accuse us of being 'unfair'.

Were I AZ & Boris I would offer to supply the expertise to get the factories in the EU up to scratch, maybe send in the red cross and the Army to help!

Comment

Working...
                    X