• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the lockdown a bad idea?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had western countries taken the same approach to lockdown as China we'd be over the worst now. But no, the media being hysterical.

Ironically, by the end of it all.. we'll be more communist than Russia & China together.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Maybe woooooooooooohooo (& Trump) has a point. There's a few sensible people, including previous UK government advisors, saying the same thing. The adverse effects of this lock down on the economy, will have a huge knock on effect on mental and physical health issues and many deaths will result. Cancer treatments have already been postponed, just one example of effect.

Have they got the balance right? Dunno. Wish I was an expert!
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

Mods feel free to delete this thread, regret asking the question as it's not helpful.
        I think it is an important question that does need to be asked. Just not yet. Not until we have stopped the growth of the infections, giving us time to think and plan.

Comment

The question that a lot of people don't seem to be asking, is what happens when its decided to be over, and we release the lock down and then it starts spreading again?

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
            The question that a lot of people don't seem to be asking, is what happens when its decided to be over, and we release the lock down and then it starts spreading again?

Or indeed what happens when people have got used to lockdown and can't be ar$ed living the house anymore? Just live on benefits & watch Netflix.

I'm expecting a baby boom in 9 months.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I'm sure all will be fine, I can definitely see an extended lockdown pushing out the worst of the infections to the summer.

I can also imagine that various treatments will be found that will help all but the most vulnerable. And I can see us increasing our hospital capacity.

Didn't mean to depress people, was more of a question I was asking myself and was looking for various opinions on.

Mods feel free to delete this thread, regret asking the question as it's not helpful.
              An unpopular proposal (and probably poorly timed) but a debateable one.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Well then someone made a very bad judgement call didn't they? Clearly it wasn't over.

You're right though, the problem we face right now is that supression by limiting economic activity and restricting movement, travel etc, will only temporarily put out the coronavirus fire.
                The fuel (un-infected people) will still be plentiful and the spread of infection is directly related to increasing economic activity. By opening the economy taps, the severe and critical covid cases will soon overwhelm the NHS again.

This is why it is important for us to get the anti-body test to understand how many people (including asymptomatic) have already had the disease and are effectively immune. That will allow us to understand when we have herd immunity. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing once we have the 60% or so immunity in the population we can lift most restrictions in the UK.

Comment

I’m wondering if Trump is right
                  Let me stop you right there. The answer is, in this and any other case: no.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing once we have the 60% or so immunity in the population we can lift most restrictions in the UK.
                    The patient (our economy) would be long dead before then.

Watch Trump, as the only real leader (rather than unrealistic wishful thinkers) in the Western world he will decide and the others will forced to follow.

Comment

Watch Trump, as the only real leader (rather than unrealistic wishful thinkers) in the Western world he will decide and the others will forced to follow.
                      Oh, I don’t think so...
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X