• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'If Korea can have a military parade, why can't we?'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'If Korea can have a military parade, why can't we?'

ARGH ARGH make this dystopian non-fiction reality disappear. Please someone...

Leader of the supposedly "free world" gets pally with dictators and suddenly now wants his own military parade.

'If Korea can have a military parade, why can't we?' - BBC News

The annual Fourth of July celebrations will be a bit different this year. There will be a speech by President Donald Trump, military flyovers and tanks. What do Americans make of it?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Italy hung ia leader from a lamp post. Why can't the USA?

Comment

Paging Mr Oswald, Paging Mr Oswald.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Don't we already have military parades, for the RAF at least, in the form of airshows?

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
          Don't we already have military parades, for the RAF at least, in the form of airshows?

Not ones where the country is given the day off and it's purely about the military.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Not ones where the country is given the day off and it's purely about the military.
            True.

I've been reading about it. Turns out it is a military parade put on by the President in honour of the nation's military. I think it's a great idea, though predictably the left don't like the idea of it.

Salute to America - Wikipedia

Comment

True.

I've been reading about it. Turns out it is a military parade put on by the President in honour of the nation's military. I think it's a great idea, though predictably the left don't like the idea of it.

Why would "The Left" not like it? Do "The Left" not like Remembrance Day?
              Do you see a difference between celebrating war and honouring those who died?
              Perhaps "The Right" need to be less keen on being warmongers and spreading hatred, and perhaps try to be civil for one?
              (If you're allowed sweeping generalisations, then so am I)
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

True.

If the left doesn't like it why are there so many military parades in communist countries?
                Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Why would "The Left" not like it? Do "The Left" not like Remembrance Day?
                  Do you see a difference between celebrating war and honouring those who died?
                  Perhaps "The Right" need to be less keen on being warmongers and spreading hatred, and perhaps try to be civil for one?
                  (If you're allowed sweeping generalisations, then so am I)
                  OK maybe I should be a bit more nuanced. I think the left are in favour of military power, but only if it is used to support a country whose political system they approve of. America is predominantly capitalist, and the left won't want to use the military and national pride to support that.

I think down the middle somewhere - I think it is good to celebrate military prowess, not for its resultant deaths on millions (potentially), but rather for its abilities to protect our own.

Finally hatred is the same- it exists to motivate us to protect ourselves. Nobody is hateful for the sake of it.

Comment

We can't have a military parade, we've laid off most of our military. It would be embarrassing
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X