• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thailand caves rescue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    At this moment more pumps would seems like the best option. It'll buy them more time if nothing else.
    Seems like they have oxygen worries too now.

From the BBC article:

Authorities say there are concerns about falling oxygen levels in the chamber where the boys and their coach are trapped.

Oxygen was being depleted by the large number of people working inside the cave network, said the Chiang Rai Governor, Narongsak Osotthanakorn.

Authorities are now working to get a 5km (3 mile) cable into the cave to supply the group with air. They are also trying to feed a fibre optic cable through to the group, to connect them to their families for the first time in nearly two weeks.
    Do what thou wilt

Comment

There is the slightly incredible possibility that even if they can't get them out before the waters rise, they could keep them supplied with air tanks (or run an air line) and the party could be submerged for weeks or months?!
      I suppose in that case they'd probably bring in some underwater habitat piece by piece to avoid epic bath-prune symptoms.

Anyone read A Fall of Moondust, because that's what this reminds me of?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Anyone read A Fall of Moondust, because that's what this reminds me of?
        Let us hope it's not more like "The Cold Equations".
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I suppose in that case they'd probably bring in some underwater habitat piece by piece to avoid epic bath-prune symptoms.

Elon Musk tweeting his ideas, one being a nylon tube they could inflate like a bouncy castle.

Maybe if they do end up stranded there awaiting the water receding, Elon could use some of the space tech he must be developing for his Mars colonisation project, to give them a habitat bubble to survive in. He gets the kudos if it works, and chance to gather performance data in the meantime.

As long as they have enough time (i.e. rain water doesn't drown them where they are) then there should be some technological solution to improve their odds.

Line the route with Portland cement (that can set under water) to stop water ingress.
          Last edited by Hobosapien; 6 July 2018, 11:40.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Two out & in hospital according to the Beeb.

Very probably fake news of course.

Comment

They sent Rolf Harris into the cave, once he started singing "two little boys" they were all clambering to escape.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Trump did not deny the US were doing everything in their power... oh please

What a political point scoring slime. His voters are probably lapping it up.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Why don't they nuke the cave system and blow it to smithereens. Then the boys will be standing there in fresh air, ready to go home

Comment

Thanks to the sterling efforts of The Donald, 8 of the kids are out of there now.

See?

That's all it takes.

A couple of tweets & everything is hunkydory.

Comment

All rescued according to BBC News!

A good effort all round!

Now get ready for the Hollywood version!
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X