• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

chancellor-will-create-crisis-self-employed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
    Someone contradicts himself here so clearly doesnt know his arse from his elbow.
    No not really. I spent most of this year on nearly 800 a day surrounded by guys on CL1 contracts that left them on 550 max. One of my other ex colleagues is charging £1500 a day for bespoke AWS planning while job serve is awash with chancers looking for ex permies that are happy to take £450 a day for the same skill...

The problem is while £1500 might be a little steep, the guys taking 450 have not the first clue about what it actually costs to be a business on your own account. 450 a day tells me they are not planning for sick/bench/training/equipment/taxation change etc

All entitled to your own opinion though

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Some are already.

Though it depends on the background of the people who are in charge.
      I was sent a role last week for a Government Dept which claimed it was outside IR35, I was very surprised but there's still no way I'd put myself forward for it.
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        I was sent a role last week for a Government Dept which claimed it was outside IR35, I was very surprised but there's still no way I'd put myself forward for it.
        It wasn't in Southend or Worthing was it?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You are making the mistake of presuming roles are exactly equivalent. In the public sector you get to deal with tulip politics.
          Mind you this also happen in the private sector too, I'm working at a European aviation giant and the politics here is eye watering.
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            No not really. I spent most of this year on nearly 800 a day surrounded by guys on CL1 contracts that left them on 550 max. One of my other ex colleagues is charging £1500 a day for bespoke AWS planning while job serve is awash with chancers looking for ex permies that are happy to take £450 a day for the same skill...

The problem is while £1500 might be a little steep, the guys taking 450 have not the first clue about what it actually costs to be a business on your own account. 450 a day tells me they are not planning for sick/bench/training/equipment/taxation change etc

All entitled to your own opinion though
            I was on £450, 12 years or so ago now, with just a small commute.

It was OK then, but certainly nothing to shout about in real terms these days
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

It wasn't in Southend or Worthing was it?
              Just had a look at the email now and it was based in Crewe.
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                The Chancellor will argue that, if he's going to bring this in - that was the argument when it was introduced in the public sector, and that was successful so why would you change the record?
                The punctuation usage in this sentence is appalling. I'm considering setting up a JustGiving.com page to ensure this does not happen again.

Comment

The Financial Times has an article on this very matter. The article is mediocre but the comments are very useful.

For those without a subscription: you can view the article by clicking on the google link to it. This is legit and a deal they have made with Google's New offering.

Budget to signal focus on private sector’s bogus self-employed - Google Search

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    Out of interest how many years have you been contracting?

For me the vast majority of contractors that I have met are completely clueless. I have heard such amazing bulltulip ranging from:

"I am outside IR35 because I bring my own special mug to staff meetings..."

Helpdesk guys that sit on call centres that have to ask to take a break and use client kit and read scripts all day but still telling anyone that will listen that they are outside because of a bunch of little scripts they wrote at home and brought in on a USB stick... FFS!

What it is time to do is state for the record that we all need to pay full sodding taxes regardless of our status and frankly the dividend changes has pretty much managed that.

From that point on we need to start acting like businesses and set the proper rates as a result just become far more expensive for the end clients.

They either pay or we give up and go back to being permanent.

Devil's advocate:

Those HelpDesk roles wouldn't pay much cash if they were converted to permanent roles. The tax take from those permanent roles wouldn't be significant when compared to a higher paying contract role. HelpDesk contracts don't pay much and the contractor similarly won't be paying much tax. More dividends taken=more tax paid.

What's the issue really? The government wouldn't be getting much more, if any, by placing them outside vs inside vs permanent. The main concern here is IR35, which requires increased enforcement, which would settle this.

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
                      The Financial Times has an article on this very matter. The article is mediocre but the comments are very useful.

For those without a subscription: you can view the article by clicking on the google link to it. This is legit and a deal they have made with Google's New offering.

Budget to signal focus on private sector’s bogus self-employed - Google Search
                      Surprised and disappointed the FT would headline an article "Hammond aims at employment tax cheats". That's more Daily Mail language. If that's how the FT positions it, then their journalists have truly been brainwashed by HM Treasury.

The more balanced and interesting article would have been: "Alleged bogus employment: Do Hammond's sums add up?" And then it could have discussed a number of scenarios comparing the different tax takes between outside (CT, VAT, Div tax, maybe a little NI and income tax) vs PAYE. It would point out that net net, tax receipts would typically reduce under the PAYE model.

And before anyone says it, I don't agree that VAT is somehow neutral and that Treasury doesn't factor this into the trade-off. If Treasury is contemplating reducing VAT threshold to £20K, VAT is not a neutral issue for them.
                      "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Working...
                      X