• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Projet Angscht oder Welt Dominatioun

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    He told me the US was more expensive.
    That's not been my experience.

Cars, food, clothes, electricals, houses much cheaper over there.

When I travel there with ClientCo colleagues from almost anywhere in the world, they take as little with them as they can, and go on giant shopping binges, filling their suitcases with cheap clothes and gadgets.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

When I travel there with ClientCo colleagues from almost anywhere in the world, they take as little with them as they can, and go on giant shopping binges, filling their suitcases with cheap clothes and gadgets.
      Yes that's my experience

I was under the impression there was some form of protectionism in terms of import duties applied to goods imported (obviously!) from other countries.

Cannot find anything on it but not really looked either.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
        Euroscepticism is rife across the EU. If it wasn't, then the EU would be more than happy to hold an EU wide referendum on its future direction, safe in the knowledge it would win.

But I doubt they have that confidence. It is Juncker living in a fantasy bubble.
        Mmm, I wonder why Le Pen, Wilders and few of those other batty right wing politicians have recently changed their tune on staying in the EU? Its a well known fact that since Brexit there has been an upswing in favour of the EU, innerestin that, eh?
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          You could very well be right, people voted to leave for varying reasons and I'm sure the Wail et al had quite an affect on the under-educated masses.
          effect
          undereducated

QED.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            What authority does Juncker have?
            None.

Except in the tabloid's propaganda.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

I once worked with a guy into that caper. But once, after he bought a huge set of brand new solid titanium golf clubs, he was collared by Customs & Excise while lugging these through arrivals back at Heathrow.

When he then failed to convince them the golf clubs hadn't been purchased during his trip, he had to pay a huge import tax or VAT bill. Can't remember exactly what the tax was, but he said he was well out of pocket.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                If Juncker were to force a referendum then there would be an out cry that the EU was becoming a superstate. Each country had democratic parliamentary elections after which they joined the European Union. There are plenty political parties in each of these countries proposing referendums, but none of them can muster a majority.
                Support for anti-EU parties does not equate to support for leaving or remaining in the EU.

Hence why UKIP support in GE2015 was about 12%, compared to a 48% leave vote. Support for Le Pen in France was far higher than UKIP in the UK.

Plenty of people voted Conservative in GE2015 despite being Eurosceptic people voting for a very prominent lover of all things EU.

Even Greece had a referendum on EU poposals and voted in favour of the EU.
                In 2015, Greece had a referendum whether to accept the EC and IMF's debt bailout proposals. 61.31% voted "No". Not sure Greece has had any other referendum?

In fact Juncker made a raft of proposals to the council of ministers one of which proposed reverting the European Union to it's previous structure i.e. a loose community based solely on trade. The proposal he put forward to the parliament yesterday is the one most heads of state in Europe favour.
                The Head of State voting in favour of Juncker's proposals does not necessarily mean that is where the popular support in their nation lies. Cameron would likely have voted in favour of those proposals had their been no EU Referendum in the UK, but clearly it wouldn't have reflected popular support.
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                  Support for anti-EU parties does not equate to support for leaving or remaining in the EU.

Hence why UKIP support in GE2015 was about 12%, compared to a 48% leave vote. Support for Le Pen in France was far higher than UKIP in the UK.

Plenty of people voted Conservative in GE2015 despite being Eurosceptic people voting for a very prominent lover of all things EU.

In 2015, Greece had a referendum whether to accept the EC and IMF's debt bailout proposals. 61.31% voted "No". Not sure Greece has had any other referendum?

The Head of State voting in favour of Juncker's proposals does not necessarily mean that is where the popular support in their nation lies. Cameron would likely have voted in favour of those proposals had their been no EU Referendum in the UK, but clearly it wouldn't have reflected popular support.
                  Even Le Pen's Front National party campaigned on a manifesto promise to remain within the EU. They promised a referendum on the Euro not the EU. The AfD in Germany are also "pro-EU" but anti the Euro. There is also no party in Spain or Italy advocating leaving the EU, just leaving the Eurozone. I think British Eurosceptics are clutching at straws.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Even Le Pen's Front National party campaigned on a manifesto promise to remain within the EU. They promised a referendum on the Euro not the EU.
                    Not quite what it said here:

Published on Saturday, the document, notably short on macro-economic and practical detail, pledges to take France out of the eurozone and – unless the EU agrees to revert to a loose coalition of nations with neither a single currency nor a border-free area – to hold a referendum on France’s EU membership.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      Not quite what it said here:
                      OK concede that point, but no appetite in France for leaving the EU.

Row deepens in Marine Le Pen's Front National over whether to scrap euro

While surveys suggest many French are sceptical of the EU, a large majority - more than 70 per cent in a recent poll - want to keep the euro.
                      That is a bigger majority when an enthusiastic Britain joined in the 1970's.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X