• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any car-nuts here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Doogie, are you a contractor or what? Get a grip.
    Wasn't quite sure, but this thread confirms my vague recollection that when it comes to having to spend money dooghie is as mean as a rattlesnake.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
      The usual "experts" replying here after a quick Google, and the health and safety police wringing their hands...

Failed power steering does not make the car more dangerous, it just makes the steering heavier since the hydraulic rams which assist the underlying manual steering system wont work any more.

Do you think the manufacturers don't consider potential hydraulic failure when designing these items?

It's not uncommon in motorsport for power-steering racks from higher-spec'd models to be used on a rally car (road legal before anyone goes there) as generally they have a quicker steering action. The 205 GTi is a common example here.

I'd suggest you remove all the PAS components (bar the rack obviously) and just plug the rack where the pipes go.

You may need to change any shared drive belts for shorter versions from a non-PAS model.
      Failed PAS does make the car more dangerous to drive, especially to others, as it affects your ability to control the vehicle.

Manufacturers do consider the fact that PAS might fail and the steering still works and car is still driveable. In the same sense that a car with a worn tires or break pads is driveable. Just not safe enough to pass MOT.

Any rally/race cars analogies are meaningless, the discussion is not whether a car can function without PAS, but whether it's safe/feasible to remove failed PAS fro ma car designed to have one.

Comment

The usual "experts" replying here after a quick Google, and the health and safety police wringing their hands...

Failed power steering does not make the car more dangerous, it just makes the steering heavier since the hydraulic rams which assist the underlying manual steering system wont work any more.

Do you think the manufacturers don't consider potential hydraulic failure when designing these items?

It's not uncommon in motorsport for power-steering racks from higher-spec'd models to be used on a rally car (road legal before anyone goes there) as generally they have a quicker steering action. The 205 GTi is a common example here.

I'd suggest you remove all the PAS components (bar the rack obviously) and just plug the rack where the pipes go.

You may need to change any shared drive belts for shorter versions from a non-PAS model.
        And for modern cars with electric steering, does your blanket statement (based on a 1980s French car) still apply?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          And for modern cars with electric steering, does your blanket statement (based on a 1980s French car) still apply?
          The OP was talking about a car with hydraulic PAS as (which you're well aware) was I..

HTH BIDI
          Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            The OP was talking about a car with hydraulic PAS as (which you're well aware) was I..

HTH BIDI
            The OP was, but you weren't. You made generic statements complaining about anyone who disagreed with you, then saying that "failed power steering does not make the car more dangerous" and that "consider potential hydraulic failure when designing these items?"

You then went on to talk about a 1980s French rally car, which you were quick to criticise another poster for when they called it a race car.

Perhaps you should really have suggested that the OP check if the car was fixed as part of the Mazda 2010 recall and then take it to a local mechanic for their opinion.

...but it's easier to call people names and make sweeping generalisations than actually be polite and useful
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Many thanks for an actual, fact-based answer. It seems that other than very limited/emergency use it shouldn't be used and should certainly not be put in for an MOT.

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Whilst i understand the Op's need to not spend the money I think in this instance you need to suck it up.
              Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Wasn't quite sure, but this thread confirms my vague recollection that when it comes to having to spend money dooghie is as mean as a rattlesnake.
              It's just a back-up car, we already replaced it with a much newer one but I was loath to dump a usable vehicle, that's all.

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              Game Set Match - Vetran!
              It isn't really a competition but indeed this is a nicely black & white answer which is all I wanted. Knowing I cannot remove the PS as a way to make it pass the MOT is all I was after.

As for safety, it is well within my capacity to control the vehicle safely but the law is the law.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Many thanks for an actual, fact-based answer. It seems that other than very limited/emergency use it shouldn't be used and should certainly not be put in for an MOT.

It's just a back-up car, we already replaced it with a much newer one but I was loath to dump a usable vehicle, that's all.

It isn't really a competition but indeed this is a nicely black & white answer which is all I wanted. Knowing I cannot remove the PS as a way to make it pass the MOT is all I was after.

As for safety, it is well within my capacity to control the vehicle safely but the law is the law.
                Sell it for scrap, or if you feel like being generous see if your local fire service wants it to practice on.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I had hoped I could become like Ricky in Trailer Park Boys
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I did specify rally car not a race car Mal - you may not need much steering effort for the roundy-roundy stuff but I can assure you rallies tend to need a tad more effort
                    Don't care. It's the same problem comparing competition cars to road going ones. And I didn't use that much steering deflection on the rally stages. Scandinavian flick anyone?
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Are you on drugs today?

Comment

Working...
                      X