• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    i have 500 eth and i convert to 10000 zen then zen shoots up 22% i then convert to dogecoin

how do i calculate the CGT in that scenario

theres no boe exchange rate to reference
    On trade (conversion) CGT is taxed at point of sale rate of the value of your 500 ETH, against the purchase amount.

The purchase amount of your Zen is the same as the sale price of the ETH; CGT is then once again calculated on your point of trade to DOGE.

Two CGT events. CGT is deferred on the DOGE holdings until another trade event (fiat or other asset).

Comment

Has anyone paid for the pro feature on coindera? It allows for active alerts which will tell you if a price changes by more than a %age in a certain time frame. Thought this could be very useful for catching pumps early
      Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Have you guys considered mining?

I'm in touch with a guy who supplies rigs ready to go. Mining BTC or equivalent but paying out in BTC. Using Nicehash.

Example cost is £8k for a 7 card (1080ti) right and it mines ~£1200 worth of coins (paid in BTC) each month. Might not seem like the best use of £8k but if we expect the market to keep going up then it'll provide a consistent and growing income stream.

My thinking is to buy something like that and let it churn away, and all coins mined will be kept or re-invested into other coins.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
          On trade (conversion) CGT is taxed at point of sale rate of the value of your 500 ETH, against the purchase amount.

The purchase amount of your Zen is the same as the sale price of the ETH; CGT is then once again calculated on your point of trade to DOGE.

Two CGT events. CGT is deferred on the DOGE holdings until another trade event (fiat or other asset).
          Have asked my accountant for clarification on this;
          At what time does the CGT become payable?
          I could invest say £10 and buy bitcoin. Then I trade the bitcoin for another coin and back again then trade that bitcoin for a third type of coin, etc.
          Is it charged every time a transaction is made or just when you ‘cash out’?
          If it’s cash out then what would define the cash out? Presumably transfer to FIAT currency in my bank account
          Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

I'm in touch with a guy who supplies rigs ready to go. Mining BTC or equivalent but paying out in BTC. Using Nicehash.

Example cost is £8k for a 7 card (1080ti) right and it mines ~£1200 worth of coins (paid in BTC) each month. Might not seem like the best use of £8k but if we expect the market to keep going up then it'll provide a consistent and growing income stream.

My thinking is to buy something like that and let it churn away, and all coins mined will be kept or re-invested into other coins.

Thoughts?
            Also crossed my mind again the other day. Was going to ask the same question...and is BTC the best option to mine. I know it's been brought up loads of times on this thread but it's a big a*** thread now...

Comment

Thoughts?
              The number of coins it mines in an amount of time decreases as the difficulty increases. So it’s only good for a few weeks or a month or two.
              And last I heard ASICS beat GPUs for mining.
              What does the electricity cost for that rig?
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                The number of coins it mines in an amount of time decreases as the difficulty increases. So it’s only good for a few weeks or a month or two.
                And last I heard ASICS beat GPUs for mining.
                What does the electricity cost for that rig?
                £70/month.

You can mine what you like, as I understand it. Already on my home PC (single 960 GPU) I had a go at mining Sia, SmartCash and BTC. Just for laughs of course. Made around $30 in a few days

So I guess you would mine whatever is most profitable.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
                  i have 500 eth and i convert to 10000 zen then zen shoots up 22% i then convert to dogecoin

how do i calculate the CGT in that scenario

theres no boe exchange rate to reference
                  Exactly this. My accountant more or less said as much. According to him all that matters is when the investment is returned to FIAT.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
                    Have asked my accountant for clarification on this;
                    At what time does the CGT become payable?
                    I could invest say £10 and buy bitcoin. Then I trade the bitcoin for another coin and back again then trade that bitcoin for a third type of coin, etc.
                    Is it charged every time a transaction is made or just when you ‘cash out’?
                    If it’s cash out then what would define the cash out? Presumably transfer to FIAT currency in my bank account
                    BTC to ETH would be liable for CGT. If you later sold your ETH for fiat/another asset that even too would be deemed in scope for CGT on point of sale.

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Exactly this. My accountant more or less said as much. According to him all that matters is when the investment is returned to FIAT.
                    I'm afraid I think he's wrong, even in German jurisdiction.

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum...to-currencies/

I hope you guys have lots of lube for when the authorities come knocking

Comment

£70/month.

You can mine what you like, as I understand it. Already on my home PC (single 960 GPU) I had a go at mining Sia, SmartCash and BTC. Just for laughs of course. Made around $30 in a few days

So I guess you would mine whatever is most profitable.
                      £70 a month seems OK on the face of it.

However..... When I last looked at mining Bitcoins (in 2014) you needed an ASIC based dedicated hardware as the difficulty was such that you’d get nowhere without one.
                      https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/mining/hardware/
                      The key to mining is the number of hashes you can do. It’s a brute force encryption crack really.
                      The ASIC manufactures would make the latest one, ‘burn it in’ for 3 months in their DC, and sell it. The difficulty is then greater, you’ve bought their old one and they’;re mining with the next gen ASIC.

I’m very dubious about stacking multiple GPUs as GPUs aren;t good at mining Bitcoins.
                      Other coins are more easily mined with GPUs, so that may work.

Whats’ changed since 2014? Bitcoins are worth £12k not £500. Mining is more difficult. On that basis I’d be very careful about the sums. You need to know what the difficulty is now (ie. how’s many hashes we re needed for the last few blocks), how may many GH/s the GPU rig can do, how many coins you’ll get for each block you mine. And also remember that if you’re slow, and someone mines the block you’re mining before you do, it’s their block not yours, so you start again on the next block with your slow miner....

Other coins I can’t comment on.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X