• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blocking A50 over eu nationals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I'm glad you realise that our arrogance has a sound moral basis.

Think he has got most of you expat Bremainers

arrogant
    ˈarəɡ(ə)nt/
    adjective
    having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.
    "he's arrogant and opinionated"
    So inflated sense of your own morals sounds about right.

Go ahead lets say all EU nationals can stay in the UK and watch as the other EU nations start throwing anyone they don't like much out of the EU paradise.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      So those of us that wanted to keep both the rights of EU citizens to stay in the UK, and UK citizens to stay in the EU will be to blame if either of those don't come to pass, but those of you that voted to remove the rights of EU citizens to stay in the UK and UK citizens to stay in the EU are blameless?

Have you thought about writing a book on your new form of logic?
      I wouldn't say blameless, I knew it was a possibility and to me both parties are to blame (UK Gov and EU) for failing to talk about it before A50 is triggered but hey the world can be quite an ugly place. It's not as either (EU or British citizens) will be sent back to a war torn country now is it.
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        It comes back to using millions of people as hostages. Which is the kind of ugly politics that seems okay to Brexiters, but should be deplorable to everyone else in the modern world. This is why the Lords amended the bill, and Harriet Harman (urgh) tried to amend the bill.

Has anyone considered what happens if EU nationals don't get to stay? Are we really going to hire hundreds of thousands of more police to tackle the task of hunting them all down and forcibly deporting them? And what happens to businesses, or property, or children, or whatever else they leave behind? Of all the dumb parts of Brexit to actually go through with that would be crazy.
        Nobody wants to discuss it, because the EU nationals are presented in the media as poor masses living in sheds in the woods. Some of the Brits I talk to seems to be genuinely surprised when I mention mortgages, loans, leases, credit cards, property, and companies owned by EU nationals. They do not have answers when I ask them what should happen to the people who get kicked out and loose their ability to meet their financial and legal obligations in this country. The media don't want to discuss it either.
        You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Whole discussion is a waste of time.
          Of course those EU citizens here aren't going to be deported just as much as those British citizens in the EU arent going to be deported.
          Do you honestly think there'll be an exchange of populations like what happened after the WW2 (German/Czech pops) or the Turkish/Greek war of 1922?

If that unlikely eventuality came to pass:

1. The UK would be worse off as (mainly) older and retired people would be swapped for (mainly) younger and economically active people. That would be the end of the NHS.
          2. All the multinationals would bugger out of the UK. Even if they could be bothered with dealing with a small market of 60 million, they wouldn't be able to find the staff (50% of every population is usless for cognitively intensive tasks).
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
            Nobody wants to discuss it, because the EU nationals are presented in the media as poor masses living in sheds in the woods. Some of the Brits I talk to seems to be genuinely surprised when I mention mortgages, loans, leases, credit cards, property, and companies owned by EU nationals. They do not have answers when I ask them what should happen to the people who get kicked out and loose their ability to meet their financial and legal obligations in this country. The media don't want to discuss it either.
            But nobody wants to kick them out. We just want our nationals to have the same rights as we are offering.

The EU is massively in the wrong here. Even more than usual.

Comment

Perhaps the only people who want EU nationals to stay are industry. I see that the different groups representing the various industries are constantly lobbying the government for EU nationals to stay because otherwise there would be no-one to do the work that they do
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                But nobody wants to kick them out. We just want our nationals to have the same rights as we are offering.

The EU is massively in the wrong here. Even more than usual.
                Has anyone said they won't? I don't physically work in the EU, even though I run a team there, but if I did I wouldn't be worrying.
                After Brexit the best people will still move around - because businesses will seize up if they don't get the talent.
                A more interesting question than this sterile and useless discussion is: in which direction will the talent flow?
                Will there be a brain drain from the UK? Or will the UK (and London in particular) keeps its attractions for foreign talent?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Perhaps the only people who want EU nationals to stay are industry. I see that the different groups representing the various industries are constantly lobbying the government for EU nationals to stay because otherwise there would be no-one to do the work that they do
                  More than likely there would be a shortage in certain sectors but the same can be said about non EU citizens that work in the UK were they to leave, but they're subjected to completely different rules.
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Looks like the amendment is going to stick.

30 Tory MPs could join Brexit Bill rebellion over EU citizen rights, claims peer 

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      It won't stick. As I recall, there were three Tories that voted against the whip last time (Clark, Tyrie, and...). The way these things works is that one side or the other is motivated to exaggerate, in order to try and either scare/encourage things in their direction. These articles and statements need to be seen as part of a game. I'd be stunned if the amendment made it through, now that Cabinet ministers have ruled out any compromise. What has changed between the last vote (majority 42 IIRC) and this one? Nothing.

Comment

Working...
                      X