• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blocking A50 over eu nationals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    One way or another the 3.6m EU nationals will be staying.

I'm surprised how little concern there is for the likes of Scoots and Darmy though. But as none of you seem that bothered then I suppose it doesn't matter!

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
      One way or another the 3.6m EU nationals will be staying.

I'm surprised how little concern there is for the likes of Scoots and Darmy though. But as none of you seem that bothered then I suppose it doesn't matter!
      Dunno about Darmy, but I doubt that Scoots will be much of a gain if we got him back. Germans must be desperate TBH.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        It won't stick. As I recall, there were three Tories that voted against the whip last time (Clark, Tyrie, and...). The way these things works is that one side or the other is motivated to exaggerate, in order to try and either scare/encourage things in their direction. These articles and statements need to be seen as part of a game. I'd be stunned if the amendment made it through, now that Cabinet ministers have ruled out any compromise. What has changed between the last vote (majority 42 IIRC) and this one? Nothing.
        Agreed. All meaningless posturing.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Agreed. All meaningless posturing.
          As much as anyone, I'd like to see them resolve this quickly, but there's no scenario in which HMG starts deporting EU citizens en masse (and the same for UK citizens in the rEU). As you say, it's all tedious posturing as we dance around the trigger point.

Comment

"Obviously the Tory whips in the Commons are going to work extremely hard with all sorts of bribes to get these people to vote with the Government.
            Some "Democracy" we live in...

Where is the point in electing individuals if they are forced to vote as sheep at the end of the day?

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              Some "Democracy" we live in...

Where is the point in electing individuals if they are forced to vote as sheep at the end of the day?
              Simple solution would be that their vote should mirror that of their constituency at the time of the referendum, wouldn't that be better
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                Simple solution would be that their vote should mirror that of their constituency at the time of the referendum, wouldn't that be better
                Everything is better than pretend democracy where an unelected PM unilaterally dictates the votes.

Bear in mind that the referendum vote was for exit of the EU, not on how to do it. I'm not saying the MPs should vote against the will of the people who elected them.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  Everything is better than pretend democracy where an unelected PM unilaterally dictates the votes.

Bear in mind that the referendum vote was for exit of the EU, not on how to do it. I'm not saying the MPs should vote against the will of the people who elected them.
                  She was elected.

We don't have a President.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                    But nobody wants to kick them out. We just want our nationals to have the same rights as we are offering.

The EU is massively in the wrong here. Even more than usual.
                    Hold on, how is the EU wrong? They haven't said yes or no, so how can they be wrong? You're saying they are wrong because they haven't made a decision based on something that hasn't happened yet.

And didn't you say earlier that it wasn't the EU at fault but anyone who voted to remain?

Can't you get your story straight?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It'll be a good test to see how things are going to pan out, given that all 27 countries have to agree and the EU as well. All it takes is one country to say no and we could find that there will be no guarantees given to EU citizens here.
                      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                      X