• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trumponomics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    if you make a post insulting another posters intelligence or ability you should really read your post thoroughly.

I wanna be a grammar NAZI!

BTW Sue is a grown up, she is pretty good at defending herself.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

What place do emoticons and txt-speak have in a post about using good English in forum threads?

HTH
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Almost all the evidence is that non-skilled immigration had only a small effect on lowering wages.
        I suspect that we'll see unemployment rise and wages fall if a hard Brexit came in, simply because there'll be fewer jobs to go around, as foreign companies leave. And lower tax take to fund public sector jobs. Basically less economic activity all round.
        Some on the dole or food bank queue of the future might look back with nostalgia to the days when the only thing annoying them was the Polish food shop on the high street.
        We end up back at the anecdotes of the Aldi supermarket that advertised their usual (limited hours. designed for benefits) jobs which all went to freshly arrived Eastern Europeans. Perfectly valid, perfectly legal but annoyed the locals enough that the voting turnout went from 2% at the previous election (police commissioner) to 78% with the clerks having to tell 50yr+ people what to do as they had never voted before.

I'm not saying that the people above are going to do well out of Brexit but you can see why when given a vote that meant they could say no more of the same, they voted no more of the same....

As for the where you go from here. As with the industrial revolution, the world is going to change. How it changes is unknown....
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Almost all the evidence is that non-skilled immigration had only a small effect on lowering wages.
          I suspect that we'll see unemployment rise and wages fall if a hard Brexit came in, simply because there'll be fewer jobs to go around, as foreign companies leave. And lower tax take to fund public sector jobs. Basically less economic activity all round.
          Some on the dole or food bank queue of the future might look back with nostalgia to the days when the only thing annoying them was the Polish food shop on the high street.
          If you restrict lower skilled immigration, that restricts the growth of higher skilled jobs which actually has the effect that people end up in lower paid jobs. One Engineer needs 12 lower skilled people in various support positions. Someone has to clean the office.

eg Fruit farms in Boston.

Eastern Europeans can't come in, so some fruit farms close and the unemployed fruit farm employees go and work in the unskilled jobs at the remaining fruit farms.

A real case was in the US where the US authorities busted a factory employing low skilled illegal immigrants. The illegal immigrants were either deported or left, the factory closed and all the indigenous Americans lost their jobs because the economy was devastated. After a couple of years they opened a new factory and brought in legal Somali immigrants.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 22 November 2016, 13:34.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            We end up back at the anecdotes of the Aldi supermarket that advertised their usual (limited hours. designed for benefits) jobs which all went to freshly arrived Eastern Europeans. Perfectly valid, perfectly legal but annoyed the locals enough that the voting turnout went from 2% at the previous election (police commissioner) to 78% with the clerks having to tell 50yr+ people what to do as they had never voted before.

I'm not saying that the people above are going to do well out of Brexit but you can see why when given a vote that meant they could say no more of the same, they voted no more of the same....
            The problem is they think they voted for less globalisation, less immigration and more protection for jobs whereas they've actually voted for more globalisation, probably no change in immigration, and less protection for jobs.

And the political elite are still running everything.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
            X