• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Does it make me a better person - of course not.
    Yes of course it does.

My lack of interest in cars is total. I've never attempted to fix or maintain mine myself. I've only ever owned 4 ( mid 40's now, got the first one when I was 24 ( 6 years after passing my test ) ). I buy one for around 10k ... keep it until it falls to bits and then buy another for 10k.

Anyway back to Brexit.

What does this CETA deal mean? The UK signed it off .... do we inherit it once we leave? Come to think of that, do we keep all the exiting agreements between the EU and others?

Can we not just save a whole load time and hassle on all sides by simply copying the document and Search 'n' Replace "Canada" with "UK".

If the deal is good enough and acceptable for Canada & EU ( including UK ) what's missing from it for the UK & EU relationship?

Anyone know? Anyone know how you become an international trade negotiator?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
      Yes of course it does.

My lack of interest in cars is total. I've never attempted to fix or maintain mine myself. I've only ever owned 4 ( mid 40's now, got the first one when I was 24 ( 6 years after passing my test ) ). I buy one for around 10k ... keep it until it falls to bits and then buy another for 10k.
      We're at cross purposes - probably my fault. I agree with you.

Comment

Really? I've read some pretty awful stuff about Syria in the last few months..
        Would that be the reduction in our arms exports making its way to the hands of terrorists?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Yes of course it does.

Anyway back to Brexit.

What does this CETA deal mean? The UK signed it off .... do we inherit it once we leave? Come to think of that, do we keep all the exiting agreements between the EU and others?

Can we not just save a whole load time and hassle on all sides by simply copying the document and Search 'n' Replace "Canada" with "UK".

If the deal is good enough and acceptable for Canada & EU ( including UK ) what's missing from it for the UK & EU relationship?

Anyone know? Anyone know how you become an international trade negotiator?
          Theoretically and some countries might indeed sign up to the same agreement, but why should they ? they will definitely consider wringing some further concessions from the UK in particular if the UK is sinking in Brexit problems.

Almost certainly countries will wait until the UK has left the EU before they start to negotiate as otherwise it is illegal, as the Australian trade minister found out after taking legal advice. The over arching WTO will see to that.

So yes they'll all be signing up to new deals but we shouldn't be surprised if the UK is seen as an "easy pickings" by countries less desperate to have a trade deal.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Are you suggesting that people who are obsessed with cars and for example have an expensive German make sitting on the drive are really just covering up for their own inadequacies?

That these people somehow measure their self-worth by the car they drive? And that they aspire to the fake lifestyles portrayed in countless TV car ads?

Believing that having a "better" car somehow makes them a better person, who's opinions are worth more than someone with a "worse" car ( or heaven forbid - no car at all! )

What a strange world we live in.

.... now I must go and fawn over the latest iDevice.
            This thread really have turned in a strange direction.

I'm not dissing poor quality, living within your means. By all regard some of the most wealthy I know are penny pinching gits.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              otherwise it is illegal
              How is it illegal? Who's the one judging? What's the punishment ( do we all have to sit on the naughty step )?

And actually, why should it be illegal if two countries want to negotiate an agreement to take effect on a certain date in the future?

Seems stupid to me. I can see that if you are in a Union that you cannot independently negotiate a deal with a 3rd party, but if you have given clear notice that you are leaving why shouldn't you?

What business is it of Brussels if the UK and Australia want to put in a place the work for a trade deal to be implemented post-Brexit?

Comment

How is it illegal? Who's the one judging? What's the punishment ( do we all have to sit on the naughty step )?

And actually, why should it be illegal if two countries want to negotiate an agreement to take effect on a certain date in the future?

Seems stupid to me. I can see that if you are in a Union that you cannot independently negotiate a deal with a 3rd party, but if you have given clear notice that you are leaving why shouldn't you?

What business is it of Brussels if the UK and Australia want to put in a place the work for a trade deal to be implemented post-Brexit?
                Slam dunk proof Wrexiters din't even know what the EU was before voting to leave it.

Comment

The WTO can give the EU leave to impose punitive tariffs to any country that breaks the EU trade agreement.

All trade agreements are administered by the WTO. You can't just sign any old trade agreement, there are rules and regulations administered by the WTO.

As much as the Brexiteers like to argue you can't simply sign any old deal with a third party. It also needs agreement from all members of the WTO.

The Brexiteers have a lot to learn about intenational trade. It's very complex and beyond most of the Eurosceptic "Bertie Woosters" in parliament to fully understand
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    The WTO can give the EU leave to impose punitive tariffs to any country that breaks the EU trade agreement.
                    This statement raises a number of interesting points.

Firstly why would we wish to be subsumed by an organisation that sees itself as doing this sort of thin
                    secondly what makes you think that the EU has the power to do this anyway/
                    Does it not occur to you that the EU needs trade with the UK more than the other way round

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Slam dunk proof Wrexiters din't even know what the EU was before voting to leave it.
                      Can you show some evidence to back up that assertion that we can't negotiate a deal with Australia before we finally leave the EU.

Sorry but I need proof before I can believe anything a contract breaking muppet states is true...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X