• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    The people voted. The government is implementing as agreed.
    What do you mean by "as agreed".
    If the government is implementing the pledges in the publicity - i.e. The things that made people vote the way they did, then that's "as agreed"
    Or do you mean the government is implementing what it wants, irrespective of what was promised/pledged or what the people or other politicians want?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

No idea what was in that bill. The referendum was quoted in the manifesto. The government was elected. Parliament confirmed the terms of the referendum. The people voted. The government is implementing as agreed. No extra vote required.
      While I agree with your overall statement, you must understand that the if we to go with your summation, then the only thing the govt has a mandate to do is what was in the 'terms of the referendum' which is to leave the EU. That and ONLY That. The govt has NO mandate to leave the single market, the customs union, Europol, European Free skies...etc as none of these were mentioned in the 'terms of the referendum' neither is membership of the EU a mandatory requirement for the membership of the aforementioned bodies. So by all means a vote in parliament is not required to leave the EU, but it is required and is indeed mandatory if the membership of any other group, body is to be changed.
      It's actually kind of like the Merchant of Venice really, 'The contract entitles you to a certain weight of flesh and nothing more'
      Last edited by sirja; 25 October 2016, 15:11.

Comment

The leaflet about the referendum that the government spent £9m of tax payers money on and sent to 23m homes said the government would execute the result of the referendum. Seems pretty clear to me.

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
          While I agree with your overall statement, you must understand that the if we to go with your summation, then the only thing the govt has a mandate to do is what was in the 'terms of the referendum' which is to leave the EU. That and ONLY That. The govt has NO mandate to leave the single market, the customs union, Europol, European Free skies...etc as none of these were mentioned in the 'terms of the referendum' neither is membership of the EU a mandatory requirement for the membership of the aforementioned bodies. So by all means a vote in parliament is not required to leave the EU, but it is required and is indeed mandatory if the membership of any other group, body is to be changed.
          It's actually kind of like the Merchant of Venice really, 'The contract entitles you to a certain weight of flesh and nothing more'
          So do you agree we should exercise A50 and then see what comes of negotiations? That's what we are doing I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            What do you mean by "as agreed".
            If the government is implementing the pledges in the publicity - i.e. The things that made people vote the way they did, then that's "as agreed"
            Or do you mean the government is implementing what it wants, irrespective of what was promised/pledged or what the people or other politicians want?
            Agreed means leave the EU.

After that it's down to what we can get. It's same as when the Labour government signed us up to this in 2006. They negotiated and Parliament voted on the outcome. My understanding is Parliament will get a vote on the outcome of this negotiation. That seems the same.

Comment

Agreed means leave the EU.

After that it's down to what we can get. It's same as when the Labour government signed us up to this in 2006. They negotiated and Parliament voted on the outcome. My understanding is Parliament will get a vote on the outcome of this negotiation. That seems the same.
              It's not the same because Article 50 sets in course a series of events which are irreversible no matter how parliament ultimately votes. This was not the same with the Labour government negotiations. The Bill of Rights restricts the exercise of royal powers over parliament, and as a champion of UK parliamentary sovereignty, you presumably support that?

In any case the UK judicial system is best placed to decide on this, so I'm sure we will all support the outcome as the correct legal position.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Fluff
                You have nothing more than a lay (and probably incorrect) understanding of the legal arguments. You're spouting on the t'interweb, along with the rest of us.

That being said.

It's not the same because Article 50 sets in course a series of events which are irreversible
                What's your legal evidence to support this assertion?

The Bill of Rights restricts the exercise of royal powers over parliament, and as a champion of UK parliamentary sovereignty, you presumably support that?
                I suspect that you don't fully understand the argument you're making here. In essence, you're arguing that "statute beats prerogative". In the case of A50, this is accurate, but irrelevant. What, precisely, is the relevant conflict between the two? What Act of Parliament is inevitably displaced by the triggering of A50? What is the legal argument to suggest that a risk would be sufficient?

Comment

It's not the same because Article 50 sets in course a series of events which are irreversible no matter how parliament ultimately votes.
                  And the series of events is to leave the EU regardless of the outcome. Which is what people voted for.

Wanting to vote before triggering A50 is only a means to stop the will of the people. I know it. You know it. May knows it. Sturgeon et. al. know it.

Comment

The leaflet about the referendum that the government spent £9m of tax payers money on and sent to 23m homes said the government would execute the result of the referendum. Seems pretty clear to me.
                    A leaflet issued by the government is of little relevance as to whether the government is seeking to exceed its powers.

Comment

A leaflet issued by the government is of little relevance as to whether the government is seeking to exceed its powers.
                      A "Government" acts upon the democratic wishes of the Electorate. All attempts to subvert this mandate is just wishy-washy window dressing and obfuscation.
                      If the Government enacts the will of the people then it has not exceeded the powers bestowed upon it at the ballot box.
                      I know it, you know it OG. Stop being such a curmudgeon and get with the programme.
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X