• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Such skills don't exist for those small business to simply 'pop-up', do they? We're talking changes that only occur in a generation.
    Nobody said it would be quick.

It could take 20 years to increase manufacturing to the correct, sustainable level. It took 60 years to move it offshore.

The "factories" that are developed over the coming years will be highly automated and not create that many jobs.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Whose going to make the 3D printers?

Say hello to the 4D printer.
    you understand the concept of reprap?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    3D printers make many things possible don't they?
    Whose going to make the 3D printers?

Say hello to the 4D printer.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    they didn't exist in China or Taiwan either.

its not impossible.
    Well I suppose we'll be happy to work for £1.20p/h when that time comes.

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Such skills don't exist for those small business to simply 'pop-up', do they? We're talking changes that only occur in a generation.
    3D printers make many things possible don't they?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    ...Anyway, you haven't mentioned them so i'm assuming you are satisfied with the worst case and 15 year comments I made on the £66bn...
    Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied - you're confusing me with someone who actually gives a toss.

Reasons for not giving a toss:
    1. It won't affect me personally very much
    2. There's nothing I can do about ameliorating the effects of terrible political decisions.

However, I do enjoy pointing out your ignorance on oh so many matters.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    they didn't exist in China or Taiwan either.

its not impossible.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Small business that imports stuff will suffer increased prices, that they might push on to the consumer causing inflation. If this causes enough pain, local businesses will spring up to supply the parts cheaper than the imported gear. People only import because it has been cheaper to do so. So all these little local businesses pop up manufacturing parts that used to be imported - and this is how the UK rebuilds it's manufacturing base.
    nice Idea I suspect phantom importing from China will continue.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Small business that imports stuff will suffer increased prices, that they might push on to the consumer causing inflation. If this causes enough pain, local businesses will spring up to supply the parts cheaper than the imported gear. People only import because it has been cheaper to do so. So all these little local businesses pop up manufacturing parts that used to be imported - and this is how the UK rebuilds it's manufacturing base.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by sirja View Post
    I think quite a few people are missing the main point. There is NO SOFT BREXIT OPTION on the table. The only 'Soft' option is the EEA and that is politically unacceptable. I voted remain but I would kick against the EEA option which is basically all the rules with no ability to influence or veto. The 'Bespoke British deal' that May and the 3 Brexiters are blabbing about is simply pie in the sky. It will never happen. The only options on the table are stay in (Ignore the referendum result, May's govt would fall if that happened.) or leave completely. The EU are banking on the fact that when the true cost of a hard Brexit starts to dawn the govt will row back. Both sides are dug in, buckle up, 2017 is going be one heck of a wild ride.
    Completely agree. I don't think Tusk is bluffing when he says that Brexit is hard, by definition. The EEA is the worst possible outcome, in the long term, and it is politically untenable for May. For both sides, it would make sense to minimise tariff and non-tariff barriers to trade. However, this may be politically untenable for the EU, especially if the slow motion car crash continues (Greece, Hungary, Austria, German/Italian banks etc.), as it becomes an existential issue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X