• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    the way he screws around how about 'two Slags?'
    Better chance with him of having a Jezza as PM?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      So we might as well join the euro then.
      I'm sure they will let Scotland join the Euro, you may make Greece look prosperous though.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'm sure they will let Scotland join the Euro, you may make Greece look prosperous though.
        Just because neither country does not have it's own printing press
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I've instructed the old man, MF and the other girls only to take Euros, Dollars and Swissies now. But we have a fairly international clientele down the docks.

Comment

Isn't the FTSE100 a whisker away from an all time high?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              Isn't the FTSE100 a whisker away from an all time high?
              Yes. But mainly because the £ is at a 30 year low.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                Yes. But mainly because the £ is at a 30 year low.
                So basically the FTSE 100 is telling me that the softening of Sterling is good for UK business? Oh, and it's not a 30 year low across the board, just the dollar.

Comment

So basically the FTSE 100 is telling me that the softening of Sterling is good for UK business? Oh, and it's not a 30 year low across the board, just the dollar.
                  Well the FTSE 100 is telling you that sterling is declining. It's not telling you whether it is good or bad for business. Oil companies for example earn all their income in dollars. Their share-price fluctuates dependent on the $/£ rate. Regardless of how their underlying business is doing.

Obviously a lower exchange rate gives competitive advantage to exporters ( which is why China has been manipulating its currency for decades )
                  but the flip side to that is that anything priced in $ is going up in price.

Someone, somewhere, along the supply chain is currently taking the hit. It doesn't seem to be the UK consumers, it's either the retailers or the manufacturers.

So far we've not seen any imported inflation. I would expect to see some movement in that direction within the next few months.

A lot of it depends on the individual companies and the agreements they have signed with suppliers. So for example if Tesco has a fixed-price agreement with a T-Shirt supplier for the next 24 months, the price of T-Shirts will stay the same.

Comment

Is it UK business that is doing well or international business?

Edit: Blue line shows FTSE 100 GBP value, white line shows FTSE 100 USD value, purple line shows GBP to USD:

Last edited by northernladyuk; 4 October 2016, 11:25.

Comment

...Oh, and it's not a 30 year low across the board, just the dollar.
                      And the Swiss Franc.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X