• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    Don't importers with large foreign currency exposures, such as those that import base materials from overseas - don't they hedge their exchange rate risk with forward contracts? Do you think they turn up at the post office the day before payment with a bunch of fifty pound notes to exchange for euros?
    I don't believe they've agreed a hedge until the end of time.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Is this one of of those Google interview questions?
      no but everyone loves a sailor!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        no but everyone loves a sailor!
        Well they shouldn't.They sail from port to port.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Don't importers with large foreign currency exposures, such as those that import base materials from overseas - don't they hedge their exchange rate risk with forward contracts? Do you think they turn up at the post office the day before payment with a bunch of fifty pound notes to exchange for euros?

Manufactures will have a certain amount of pre-paid stock paid for at the bargain GBP rate. That will be short lived. Most manufactures will not have the cash flow to buy forward rates or make forward contracts, furthermore; forward rates are less favourable in uncertain times like now. I am very experienced with imports and exports. The low pound is a disadvantage in both ways.

In the pre-EU days the UK had exchange control and individuals were only allowed to take £10 increased to £30 per year for out the UK on trips (Increased to £1000 per trip in the late 70s). When I wanted to buy goods from Europe I had to open a foreign currency account, of which (according to law) I was not allowed to be in credit. I had to borrow Deutschmarks from Barclays International and put the equivalent amount of GBP in a Deposit account. I would need permission from the BoE for each trade. The bank would then produce a letter of credit to the German supplier. I was a very cumbersome system. Two or three days being held up at Dover customs was not unusual. I used to get the ferry from Oostende because the French were b******. Even if you had the right paperwork, they would make life difficult for the British unless you were buying from France in which case they did not bother with any rules at all!

We have a lot to look forward to with Brexit.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            I don't believe they've agreed a hedge until the end of time.
            The whole point of a hedge is that it is done ahead of time. Those that don't hedge choose to do so because they either can't afford to hedge, or because they cannot guarantee that they will be able to produce the goods that the hedgeable future payment relates to (or because they want to speculate- lets ignore those). These are small farmers for example, they do not meet the profile of the kind of outfit that would be economy damaging. They would be hedging, surely.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              And when those manufactures can no longer afford to import raw material with the weaker pound, what then?
              Assuming the business is profitable and they are selling for more than the cost of production, how could they not afford the raw materials?

Comment

The whole point of a hedge is that it is done ahead of time. Those that don't hedge choose to do so because they either can't afford to hedge, or because they cannot guarantee that they will be able to produce the goods that the hedgeable future payment relates to (or because they want to speculate- lets ignore those). These are small farmers for example, they do not meet the profile of the kind of outfit that would be economy damaging. They would be hedging, surely.
                That's right large exporters are hedging and that's why the short term effects of a devaluation are positive. Eventually of course the hedges expire and the manufacturer is faced with increased import costs.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                  Assuming the business is profitable and they are selling for more than the cost of production, how could they not afford the raw materials?
                  Exactly. Unless the currency was so weak.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                    You have missed out the fact that the manufacture would have to increase the price of its product and the consumer may then choose not to buy it. Wages will not increase just because the pound has been devalued.

A hypothetical example would be a manufacturer that imports rose oil to use in perfumes. Rose oil cannot be produced in the UK and there are only two countries in the world that produce it. Demand outstrips supply. Once the pound falls, it is too expensive to buy or to pass the cost on to the consumer.

The European joke in the 70s was that if you saw a car with GB on it; it meant Gone Bust.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      The fishermen are living in dream land.

That fishing area is so fanciful they may as well extended the area to the Falkland Islands and included the North and South Atlantic
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_economic_zone

An exclusive economic zone (EEZ) is a sea zone prescribed by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea over which a state has special rights regarding the exploration and use of marine resources, including energy production from water and wind.[1] It stretches from the baseline out to 200 nautical miles (nmi) from its coast.

Comment

Working...
                      X