• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Many more Bobs to arrive in the UK ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...as Britain starts trade talks with India.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/britain-se...841.html?nhp=1

I can imagine how that will go:

India: So what have you got to sell that we need?

UK: Erm, arms and jet engines. Oh and digging equipment.

India: Don't need jet engines, but need arms and digging equipment. Ok we'll buy them from you provided we can send unlimited bobs to what's left of your multinationals.

UK: OK then.

So as European withdraw investment as they're doing, this will be replaced with Indian investment.

Which means you'll be more likely to work for a company run from India.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      So as European withdraw investment as they're doing, this will be replaced with Indian investment.

Which means you'll be more likely to work for a company run from India.

Indian owned companies already employ over 100,000 in the UK
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Indian owned companies already employ over 100,000 in the UK
        No doubt, but are those 100,000 UK citizens?
        Well I guess if they're not now, they soon will be

Comment

In a few years you'll be asking for an Indexit.

Jesus wept

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Well, that's globalisation for you.

I'm actually reading a book about the US Deep South at the moment and came across a completely unexptected statistic; more than 50% of all motels in the USA are owned by Indians and 70% of these owners are called Patel and hail from the region of Gujarat.

Many of them are immigrant doctors who managed to secure a visa waiver and progressed to moonlighting in motel ownership.

What's interesting about this is that it's completely non linear. For example, an Italian running a pizzeria or a Turk running a kebab stall is a logical linear transition as there is a cultural and geographical affinity.

American style motels, on the other hand, are completely unknown in India and do not fit the usual ethnic niche.

Comment

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
              In a few years you'll be asking for an Indexit.

I had one of their washing machines once. Not as good as a German Miele.
              And their hoovers aren't as good as Henry.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rouge View Post

I'm actually reading a book about the US Deep South at the moment and came across a completely unexptected statistic; more than 50% of all motels in the USA are owned by Indians and 70% of these owners are called Patel and hail from the region of Gujarat.

Many of them are immigrant doctors who managed to secure a visa waiver and progressed to moonlighting in motel ownership.

What's interesting about this is that it's completely non linear. For example, an Italian running a pizzeria or a Turk running a kebab stall is a logical linear transition as there is a cultural and geographical affinity.

American style motels, on the other hand, are completely unknown in India and do not fit the usual ethnic niche.
                Is that the Paul Theroux book by any chance? Saving that for my holiday in a week's time ...

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rouge View Post

More motels for us boomed

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
                    No doubt, but are those 100,000 UK citizens?
                    Well I guess if they're not now, they soon will be
                    Immigrant numbers in the UK show the largest number of foreign-born to be from India, but the largest number of foreign passport holders to be from Poland.

Unsurprisingly, people on EU passports don't need to change citizenship as they can come and go as they please, but non-EU citizens want to get that UK passport as soon as they can.

Which, of course, entitles them to bring in family members.

Hence the reason why non-EU immigration is still around 200k a year and the U.K. government can do nothing about it.

Brexit is not going to solve any immigration crisis, it's only going to change the countries that they come from.

Comment

Working...
                    X