• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Generation spent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    And where are they now?
    One is in a property the same value as mine but in a different area of the SE. He has a wife who earns far more than him.

The others I've not checked up on.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

2005 £150k gone up maybe £30k maybe
      There are regional variations in price increases.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        There are regional variations in price increases.
        Not everyone gets to live in a fairy palace like you Sue.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Not everyone gets to live in a fairy palace like you Sue.
          Least the prices in your area haven't decreased. In theory you have a chance of moving nearby if you want a larger property. I have to move miles away.

Comment

Generation spent

Least the prices in your area haven't decreased. In theory you have a chance of moving nearby if you want a larger property. I have to move miles away.
            The only place I know of where prices have fallen is Aberdeen.

A decent family home round here is £500k+

Why move? Don't you have enough rooms?

I don't make this tulip up BTW, Generation Y (I guess I'm XY) really is tuliped;

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ls-millennials
            Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 8 March 2016, 22:13.

Comment

The only place I know of where prices have fallen is Aberdeen.

A decent family home round here is £500k+

Why move? Don't you have enough rooms?

I don't make this tulip up BTW, Generation Y (I guess I'm XY) really is tuliped;
              What do you class as a decent family home? Describe it.

And you are Generation X because you where born in the 70s.

Comment

What do you class as a decent family home? Describe it.

And you are Generation X because you where born in the 70s.
                Quite road, close to good schools.

Not on an estate.

Driveway.

3 bed but ideally 4.

Enough room but options to increase footprint so;

Front garden, back secure garden big enough to kick a ball and enjoy a BBQ.

Something like this; http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-58100831.html

Not exactly fancy pantsy, and near half a mil...

Comment

Quite road, close to good schools.

Not on an estate.

Driveway.

3 bed but ideally 4.

Enough room but options to increase footprint so;

Front garden, back secure garden big enough to kick a ball and enjoy a BBQ.

Something like this; 4 bedroom detached house for sale in Priory Street, Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13 0BA, SN13

Not exactly fancy pantsy, and near half a mil...
                  Blimey you don't get much in Wiltshire for half a million quid. I have a bigger place a nice estate in Berks or the same amount.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You still had free education, a windfall of national assets (oil, gold, gas, coal), and cheap houses. Oh and **** loads of boomers have final salary, redundancy early retirement pay outs etc.

In dogged pursuit of your idée fixe, you bundle so many different erroneous ideas together, that it is hard to know where to start.

The country (but not the Boomers personally) did have a windfall of oil and gas. Essentially the government of the day blew it by selling it to foreign interests for cash which they then used to cut higher rate taxes and keep strutting the world stage as a "Great Power". At that time Boomers were not high earners yet so they did not benefit from the tax cuts.

Windfall coal? No, that was the 19th century you're thinking of there. Windfall gold? No really, can you explain that one? If you are referring to Gordon Brown's selling of half the country's gold reserves, please explain how that amounted to a windfall for the Boomers?

Redundancy and early retirement? That's the generation before the Boomers who gained from that phase. Please distinguish between generations more carefully: just being older than you <> Boomer.

Final salary pensions? I repeat, that's public sector. Not Boomers in general.

Free education? I'm for it. Actually in Scotland we still have it. In England you don't because it was in effect exchanged for tax cuts by the votes of Thatcher's Children - and that is not the Boomers. Incidentally the end of free education didn't save me any money, it cost me, because we were in England at the time and I felt that I had to support my 2 children through the 3 degrees they did between them: "free" education paid from taxes would have cost me less!

House prices? I agree with you completely about how toxic the UK housing market has become. I spent 1990-2015 outside the UK so I have seen elsewhere in Europe how it need not be so, and how in a decent rental market one does not need to buy a house. But the rental market in the UK is even more toxic than the buying market. When I came back to the UK, I eventually bought a house in 2007 even though I didn't want to, because I just couldn't stand the indignities of the rental market any more.

But don't blame the Boomers for the housing market. We didn't make it so, we're just trying to survive it.
                    Last edited by expat; 9 March 2016, 03:09.

Comment

Generation spent

Originally posted by expat View Post
                      In dogged pursuit of your idée fixe, you bundle so many different erroneous ideas together, that it is hard to know where to start.

The country (but not the Boomers personally) did have a windfall of oil and gas. Essentially the government of the day blew it by selling it to foreign interests for cash which they then used to cut higher rate taxes and keep strutting the world stage as a "Great Power". At that time Boomers were not high earners yet so they did not benefit from the tax cuts.

Windfall coal? No, that was the 19th century you're thinking of there. Windfall gold? No really, can you explain that one? If you are referring to Gordon Brown's selling of half the country's gold reserves, please explain how that amounted to a windfall for the Boomers?

Redundancy and early retirement? That's the generation before the Boomers who gained from that phase. Please distinguish between generations more carefully: just being older than you Boomer.

Final salary pensions? I repeat, that's public sector. Not Boomers in general.

Free education? I'm for it. Actually in Scotland we still have it. In England you don't because it was in effect exchanged for tax cuts by the votes of Thatcher's Children - and that is not the Boomers. Incidentally the end of free education didn't save me any money, it cost me, because we were in England at the time and I felt that I had to support my 2 children through the 3 degrees they did between them: "free" education paid from taxes would have cost me less!

House prices? I agree with you completely about how toxic the UK housing market has become. I spent 1990-2015 outside the UK so I have seen elsewhere in Europe how it need not be so, and how in a decent rental market one does not need to buy a house. But the rental market in the UK is even more toxic than the buying market. When I came back to the UK, I eventually bought a house in 2007 even though I didn't want to, because I just couldn't stand the indignities of the rental market any more.

But don't blame the Boomers for the housing market. We didn't make it so, we're just trying to survive it.
                      I know I flip out about boomers, it just winds me up so bad the state of our housing market. And very very very few folk of your age/generation are even aware of the issue (let alone how to solve it) is very frustrating (let them eat cake). So I thank you, genuinely, for your awareness, and empathy.

Comment

Working...
                      X