• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Generation spent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    There is no VAT on it since the food is at or below ambient temperature...
    But aren't they luxury items?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Intel View Post
      FTFY.

Spending "some" of your disposable income once you've accounted for possible emergencies in life is perfectly fine. I drive a ridiculous V6 Merc which costs me a fortune in tyres and servicing but I also have cash in the bank for if I stuff it in a hedge, hurt myself and can't work for 12 months or more.
      She's 24 for FS. I had no money at 24.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Clearly you need to travel out of Slough and experience the world more if you seriously think that Brazil is a better place to live than the UK*
        Honestly you do come out with some utter guff sometimes.

*unless you're filthy rich and then anywheres good, really
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florian%C3%B3polis
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floria...3polis#Economy

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          She's 24 for FS. I had no money at 24.
          Youth shouldn't be an excuse for a lack of responsibility. I'd not had a holiday in 4 years when I was 24 whilst I saved up a deposit for a house.

I can see her being back in the paper in 10 years time with a baby spinning a sob story about how she can't afford a house because she's had kids (and a ton of "adventures") and how society somehow must owe her a house, a car, a career and a future.

Society owes her nothing. As a society the only things we owe are to support those who are genuinely sick and can't work (not "won't" work), ensuring our armed forces get the support they deserve for placing themselves in harms way and to ensure the old are looked after to a good standard.

I'm tired of people claiming it's all someone else's fault. So many people seem to just want to manana their way through life. The reason the government are sneaking in tax rises like the dividend tax is so they can pay for the lazy, the feckless and the corrupt.
          Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

I'm tired of people claiming it's all someone else's fault. So many people seem to just want to manana their way through life. The reason the government are sneaking in tax rises like the dividend tax is so they can pay for the lazy, the feckless and the corrupt.

MPs are in line for a 1.3% pay rise - BBC News

I see what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Damn, I appear to have cut and paste the definition of "politician" from the Oxford English dictionary again!
              Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                But aren't they luxury items?
                Essential for lizards...

Comment

Youth shouldn't be an excuse for a lack of responsibility. I'd not had a holiday in 4 years when I was 24 whilst I saved up a deposit for a house.

I can see her being back in the paper in 10 years time with a baby spinning a sob story about how she can't afford a house because she's had kids (and a ton of "adventures") and how society somehow must owe her a house, a car, a career and a future.

Society owes her nothing. As a society the only things we owe are to support those who are genuinely sick and can't work (not "won't" work), ensuring our armed forces get the support they deserve for placing themselves in harms way and to ensure the old are looked after to a good standard.

She will probably emigrate.

I've got family and friends' who did some travelling when they were in their early 20s. When they got offered jobs they got some from abroad so off they went....

Comment

Another cop out from the "it's not fair" brigade. Rather than trying to improve their own lives they'd rather get smashed with their mates and blame their miserable existences on everyone else.

Saying something isn't achievable so I'm going to not even bother trying sounds like defeatism to me.....

Hard work, sacrificing your own selfish desires and continual self-improvement sound like a better plan if you don't want to spend the second half of your life living in poverty in some sh*t hole.
                    Bull tulip. The myth of work hard and buy a home has disappeared for many.

Baby boomer greed (read sig)
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I couldn't give a damn about the housing market. What irks me is the whole "it's not fair" whinging. I've sacrificed huge amounts to get to where I am. Evenings and weekends reading books, 1 holiday every 4-5 years on average, delaying having kids until I can afford them rather than expecting someone else to pick up the tab. This lot however expect it all, on a plate, without having to put in any effort. I have friends who have spent their 20's having 4 holidays a year, constantly gone out to have "fun" and would rather spend their money on having two kids and putting brand new cars on their rented housing driveways than saving up and improving themselves. Now they cry about not being able to afford a house, through their own choices! You can't have it both ways in those scenarios. This lot need to cut out their frivolous spending, save more and invest in themselves if they want to improve their lot in life. Until then I have ***** all sympathy.
                      When did you buy?
                      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                      X