• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Generation spent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Intel View Post
    Another cop out from the "it's not fair" brigade. Rather than trying to improve their own lives they'd rather get smashed with their mates and blame their miserable existences on everyone else.

Saying something isn't achievable so I'm going to not even bother trying sounds like defeatism to me.....

Hard work, sacrificing your own selfish desires and continual self-improvement sound like a better plan if you don't want to spend the second half of your life living in poverty in some sh*t hole.
    Why the f*** should they prop up the housing market for you and I?

The world is smaller nowadays. They should go see the world and if they find a country they would prefer to live in that isn't the UK they should move there.

They won't have time to have fun in later life if they stay in the UK as the pension age is going to be moved up in the UK so by the time they can retire the majority will be dead.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Why the f*** should they prop up the housing market for you and I?

The world is smaller nowadays. They should go see the world and if they find a country they would prefer to live in that isn't the UK they should move there.

They won't have time to have fun in later life if they stay in the UK as the pension age is going to be moved up in the UK so by the time they can retire the majority will be dead.

I couldn't give a damn about the housing market. What irks me is the whole "it's not fair" whinging. I've sacrificed huge amounts to get to where I am. Evenings and weekends reading books, 1 holiday every 4-5 years on average, delaying having kids until I can afford them rather than expecting someone else to pick up the tab. This lot however expect it all, on a plate, without having to put in any effort. I have friends who have spent their 20's having 4 holidays a year, constantly gone out to have "fun" and would rather spend their money on having two kids and putting brand new cars on their rented housing driveways than saving up and improving themselves. Now they cry about not being able to afford a house, through their own choices! You can't have it both ways in those scenarios. This lot need to cut out their frivolous spending, save more and invest in themselves if they want to improve their lot in life. Until then I have ***** all sympathy.
      Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

I couldn't give a damn about the housing market. What irks me is the whole "it's not fair" whinging. I've sacrificed huge amounts to get to where I am. Evenings and weekends reading books, 1 holiday every 4-5 years on average, delaying having kids until I can afford them rather than expecting someone else to pick up the tab. This lot however expect it all, on a plate, without having to put in any effort. I have friends who have spent their 20's having 4 holidays a year, constantly gone out to have "fun" and would rather spend their money on having two kids and putting brand new cars on their rented housing driveways than saving up and improving themselves. Now they cry about not being able to afford a house, through their own choices! You can't have it both ways in those scenarios. This lot need to cut out their frivolous spending, save more and invest in themselves if they want to improve their lot in life. Until then I have ***** all sympathy.
        I don't think they care about you or your sympathy, they want an enjoyable life. They won't get that in the UK living like you did, the world is now globalised. They can have a much better quaility of life without feeding the UK banks and govt all their hard earned if they look to be adventurous and far sighted. Asia, Australisia, USA/Canada even places like Brazil offer much more in terms outlook, lifestyle, enjoyment.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I don't think they care about you or your sympathy, they want an enjoyable life. They won't get that in the UK living like you did, the world is now globalised. They can have a much better quaility of life without feeding the UK banks and govt all their hard earned if they look to be adventurous and far sighted. Asia, Australisia, USA/Canada even places like Brazil offer much more in terms outlook, lifestyle, enjoyment.
          That's true and I explored that avenue (and have Australian permanent residency to show for it). However this attitude of NOW! NOW! NOW! will only end in tears when they hit their 60's and realise they still have another 20 years to work because they have nothing to show for a life of profligacy.

Comment

Yes. If you don't enjoy your money, the others will.
            You can spend your money and save some for an emergency.

Comment

That's true and I explored that avenue (and have Australian permanent residency to show for it). However this attitude of NOW! NOW! NOW! will only end in tears when they hit their 60's and realise they still have another 20 years to work because they have nothing to show for a life of profligacy.
              The woman in the article actually saved her money as a teenager. Only by talking to her grandmother did she realise that she was misspending her youth by doing nothing so she started spending some of her money on things that she enjoys.

So basically you are calling people who have made intelligent decisions about how they should spend their money part of the "NOW! NOW! NOW!" brigade when they are not. If she was 35 and doing the same thing you should worry but she isn't.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                she started spending ALL of her money on things that she enjoys but now has nothing to save her if she gets sick or injured and can't work or travel.
                FTFY.

Spending "some" of your disposable income once you've accounted for possible emergencies in life is perfectly fine. I drive a ridiculous V6 Merc which costs me a fortune in tyres and servicing but I also have cash in the bank for if I stuff it in a hedge, hurt myself and can't work for 12 months or more.

Comment

Clearly you need to travel out of Slough and experience the world more if you seriously think that Brazil is a better place to live than the UK*
                  Honestly you do come out with some utter guff sometimes.

*unless you're filthy rich and then anywheres good, really
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

What people really need is an income from the fruits of other peoples work whilst you enjoy retirement
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Like taxing Zeity for eating esteemed customers?
                      There is no VAT on it since the food is at or below ambient temperature...

Comment

Working...
                      X