• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Generation spent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Well bully for them.
    Blair and Brown loaded up the public debt to pay for the parasites, and you will pay it off over the next 40 years. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Similar sort of thing happened to a chap here: spent 37 years man and boy working here, retires, plans to do the international travel thing with spouse|: spouse drops dead in the airport on their first trip.

Ho very hum.
      So is now free and single and retired with a life insurance windfall coming? Poor guy.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        His poor wife.
        Yes, it took a toll.

@Intel: I pay my taxes and I support the welfare state for a reason.

Comment

the two examples of people who worked hard and then had a disaster just after they retired are similar to those where you hear about the fit healthy guy who dropped dead at 40 from a heart attack.

Yes they are unfortunate but they are very much the exception and not the rule.

Most people I know worked hard and then retired and had fun - yes some of them had final salary pensions and some inherited money but so what.

I know and you know that when we get to 60/65 we will have to have been working hard and saving to consider being able to retire - however it is still a very doable thing and we have 20 odd years to plan.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
            Yes, it took a toll.

@Intel: I pay my taxes and I support the welfare state for a reason.
            The welfare state was designed to help those who didn't have a job get a job and support those who were sick. It wasn't designed to help the irresponsible who p*ssed their income up the wall without any thought for the future.

Attitudes like yours are the reason the welfare state is at such risk from ideological change by right wing parties in this country. If people didn't take the p*ss we wouldn't be having to cut the heart out of the social security net and NHS. When the viewpoint is that those in receipt of welfare don't deserve it due to their own stupidity can you really blame people for resenting funding it?
            Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

Originally posted by Intel View Post
              The welfare state was designed to help those who didn't have a job and support those who were sick. It wasn't designed to help the irresponsible who p*ssed their income up the wall without any thought for the future.

Attitudes like yours are the reason the welfare state is at such risk from ideological change by right wing parties in this country. If people didn't take the p*ss we wouldn't be having to cut the heart out of the social security net and NHS. When the viewpoint is that those in receipt of welfare don't deserve it due to their own stupidity can you really blame people for resenting funding it?
              The NHS is ****ed because a million old people are taking hundreds of pills a day at £100 a pop.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Similar sort of thing happened to a chap here: spent 37 years man and boy working here, retires, plans to do the international travel thing with spouse|: spouse drops dead in the airport on their first trip.

Ho very hum.
                I spent 30 years working. Day I was to retire my wife divorced me at the airport and took her toy boy.

Now I am back working.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                  The NHS is ****ed because a million old people are taking hundreds of pills a day at £100 a pop.
                  Logans Run. Problem solved.

Comment

Reading this thread should be a reminder to smell the roses along the way. As some of you already know, I have just started out on a 2 month break. Currently sprawled out recovering from one of the best Chinese meals of my life, in a fantastic hotel, in Hong Kong. There won't be any change out of 20k by the time of are done, but worth every penny imo. You can't spend it when you are dead and I don't want that horrible oik Osborne getting his hands on any more than necessary.
                    The only joy is that my dear old mum stands more chance of becoming PM than him currently
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      Reading this thread should be a reminder to smell the roses along the way. As some of you already know, I have just started out on a 2 month break. Currently sprawled out recovering from one of the best Chinese meals of my life, in a fantastic hotel, in Hong Kong. There won't be any change out of 20k by the time of are done, but worth every penny imo. You can't spend it when you are dead and I don't want that horrible oik Osborne getting his hands on any more than necessary.
                      The only joy is that my dear old mum stands more chance of becoming PM than him currently
                      Sounds fab I did something similar a few years ago when I validated my Oz residency visa and spent a couple of months travelling. Cost me a fortune.

I'm betting you're not spending every last penny you have on it though??

Comment

Working...
                      X