• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Generation spent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Intel View Post

?? what has the US got to do with the lack of responsibility in the UK populace nowadays?
    In the US the most common cause of bankruptcy is healthcare bills. So if there was no NHS or equivalent universal healthcare scheme in the UK the same would happen.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by OnceStonedRose View Post
      Must be a fascinating trip you're on, although one can't help but notice that you appear to spend more time posting on here than enjoying your fabulously expensive jaunt?

(20k my hairy arse.)
      We don't all fly economy, you know...5 star hotels and Michelin don't come cheap. Try leaving Bradford you might even find out
      Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 8 March 2016, 01:35.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        In the US the most common cause of bankruptcy is healthcare bills. So if there was no NHS or equivalent universal healthcare scheme in the UK the same would happen.
        US rather like Victorian UK. A world superpower. A few rich doing very well. While the vast majority of citizens live in abject poverty.

In the UK we have 3 classes - rich, middle, poor. In the US they also have an under class.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          The US is a fabulous example of right wing politics without any kind of compassion. Even the democrats are the equivalent of our conservatives.

I've been to the states once as an adult and I won't be going back. I ended up wandering around Seattle at 3am with jet lag and as you walk past the alleyways there are dozens of people sleeping in cardboard boxes.

The problem with the states is that if you have it, you have it all. Big house, car etc. but it's all built on finance and hoping to earn enough the next month to keep your head above water. If you mess it up you have absolutely nothing because there's no safety net. It's a great example of why fiscal responsibility in your personal life should be such an important part of life here in the UK. Unfortunately the presence of the net seems to engender the kinds of attitudes displayed here so far, of complete irresponsibility because if it all goes pear shaped someone else will foot the bill. Not that I'm saying I have a viable alternative, just that it's a flawed system.

Americans strike me as a tad crazy in general though. Who in their right mind in response to a shooting at a school, would argue that the way to prevent shootings is not to ban guns but to arm the teachers! Lunatics.
          Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

The US is a fabulous example of right wing politics without any kind of compassion. Even the democrats are the equivalent of our conservatives.

I've been to the states once as an adult and I won't be going back. I ended up wandering around Seattle at 3am with jet lag and as you walk past the alleyways there are dozens of people sleeping in cardboard boxes.

The problem with the states is that if you have it, you have it all. Big house, car etc. but it's all built on finance and hoping to earn enough the next month to keep your head above water. If you mess it up you have absolutely nothing because there's no safety net. It's a great example of why fiscal responsibility in your personal life should be such an important part of life here in the UK. Unfortunately the presence of the net seems to engender the kinds of attitudes displayed here so far, of complete irresponsibility because if it all goes pear shaped someone else will foot the bill. Not that I'm saying I have a viable alternative, just that it's a flawed system.

Americans strike me as a tad crazy in general though. Who in their right mind in response to a shooting at a school, would argue that the way to prevent shootings is not to ban guns but to arm the teachers! Lunatics.

On the last point about arming teachers, there is some valid logic there. What is easier to try ban all guns in a country where they are ubiquitous or give a few more to people, who, if there was a shooting, could at least minimise the impact or even deter the potential shooter in the first place. However I would prefer stronger gun control overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
              On the last point about arming teachers, there is some valid logic there. What is easier to try ban all guns in a country where they are ubiquitous or give a few more to people, who, if there was a shooting, could at least minimise the impact or even deter the potential shooter in the first place. However I would prefer stronger gun control overall.
              Unfortunately that sounds a lot like Pandaora's box creaking open....next step "if we arm the children they could defend themselves".

The UK and even the Aussies have managed to restrict the availability, and the Aussies had a history of gun ownership whereby the reforms after the Port Arthur massacre were somewhat opposed. Why can't the Americans get around this fixation with shooting one another?
              Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

Unfortunately the presence of the net seems to engender the kinds of attitudes displayed here so far, of complete irresponsibility because if it all goes pear shaped someone else will foot the bill. Not that I'm saying I have a viable alternative, just that it's a flawed system.

Isn't that the point of the safety net? Are you suggesting there be some kind of interview about lifestyle choices before you get welfare?

The money that goes to welfare isn't actually that high compared to other things; the number of "cheats" is statistically insignificant and only seems to get brought up because it makes for easy political fodder due to people having an unhealthy obsession with what the lower classes might be getting away with. It's really not worth any upset.

Agreed on your last point; large part of why I left.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                  Isn't that the point of the safety net? Are you suggesting there be some kind of interview about lifestyle choices before you get welfare?

The money that goes to welfare isn't actually that high compared to other things; the number of "cheats" is statistically insignificant and only seems to get brought up because it makes for easy political fodder due to people having an unhealthy obsession with what the lower classes might be getting away with. It's really not worth any upset.
                  I agree with this point. There are cheats and idiots, but compared with money spent on illegal wars, bank bailouts, pension pots for civil servants who did less than the unemployed over the period it's not even worth worrying about.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Majority of the golden pensioner crowd were public sector. Police especially. Go to Spain or Cyprus and trip over thousands of them in their early fifties on the best golf courses and sitting in the best eateries laughing at the youngsters in the UK.
                    I second that and would hope that people might begin to realise that Baby Boomers do not have gold-plated final salary pensions. Some public sector workers did, but Boomers in general do not.

Comment

Generation spent

Originally posted by expat View Post
                      I second that and would hope that people might begin to realise that Baby Boomers do not have gold-plated final salary pensions. Some public sector workers did, but Boomers in general do not.
                      You still had free education, a windfall of national assets (oil, gold, gas, coal), and cheap houses. Oh and **** loads of boomers have final salary, redundancy early retirement pay outs etc.

Teachers house 70's

Teachers house 80's

Teachers house 90's

Teachers house 00's

Teachers house today

Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 8 March 2016, 19:05.
                      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                      X