• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cameron in Europe - Good or Crap?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Others (probably including me) will vote out because they find the European project itself unacceptable, due to the democratic deficit at its heart. It isn't the idea of a super state I object to (actually I quite like the idea), but the idea of a super state that wants to constitute itself on anything other than full democracy. 1 citizen 1 vote. Always.
    As has been stated many times the EU is more democratic in its operation than the UK. The argument (as per by Michael Gove) appears to be that the EU is undemocratic because a minority (the UK) doesn't have free reign to do what it wants against the wishes of the majority (27 other countries).

I suggest you look up democracy in the dictionary.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      As has been stated many times the EU is more democratic in its operation than the UK. The argument (as per by Michael Gove) appears to be that the EU is undemocratic because a minority (the UK) doesn't have free reign to do what it wants against the wishes of the majority (27 other countries).

Exactly so we don't like it so we leave.

Everyone is a winner surely?

Or is the mantra that we submit to euro democracy or face the consequences?

I little ironic don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        It's really sweet that someone who is not from the UK feels they have a right to tell those that are what to do.

But please excuse me if I ignore it.
        The quote is Stefan Kornelius' opinion of David Cameron's interests are. He is not telling anyone to do anything.

Tip: Conflict is not the best way to covert someone to your point of view. If you want to try and persuade someone, it helps to listen (in this case read), acknowledge and understand their point of view, then present a cohesive, polite & informed argument.

But hey this is General, so **** everyone's point of view. I am going to vote yes as it is to my advantage as a UK citizen living in another EU country and that of my children who are tri-lingual and soon to be highly qualified.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
          The quote is Stefan Kornelius' opinion of David Cameron's interests are. He is not telling anyone to do anything.

Tip: Conflict is not the best way to covert someone to your point of view. If you want to try and persuade someone, it helps to listen (in this case read), acknowledge and understand their point of view, then present a cohesive, polite & informed argument.

But hey this is General, so **** everyone's point of view. I am going to vote yes as it is to my advantage as a UK citizen living in another EU country and that of my children who are tri-lingual and soon to be highly qualified.
          Excellent

Not sure why but go you.

Btw I do not really care what other people do so not trying to convert anyone.

More I am interested in other people's views on why the UK should stay in the EU. Especially interested in understanding what benefit it is to the EU for UK to stay in.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Lets look it up for you.

Democracy, or democratic government, is "a system of government in which all the people of a state or polity ... are involved in making decisions about its affairs, typically by voting to elect representatives to a parliament or similar assembly," as defined by the Oxford English Dictionary
            Where does a non elected EU Commission and President (s) fit into that? In this country the people can get rid of our leaders every 5 years if we wish. How does that work for the EU?

The EU itself famously could not apply to join the EU as its not a democracy.
            Last edited by Flashman; 21 February 2016, 14:35.

Comment

Whatever you think of Boris, this is a pretty big deal. Likely to add a few % to Leave, although I still expect an emphatic win for remain:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbclaurak...23779923304449

Comment

Well, I've always disliked Boris and thought he was a cretin, good to see it confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Whatever you think of Boris, this is a pretty big deal. Likely to add a few % to Leave, although I still expect an emphatic win for remain:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbclaurak...23779923304449
                  Johnson, Galloway, Goldsmith, Farage, Gove, et. al. some pretty prominent losers and scoundrels there
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Johnson, Galloway, Goldsmith, Farage, Gove, et. al. some pretty prominent losers and scoundrels there
                    Some of them are cretins and others act out of personal cynical self-interest that disregards what's best for the country.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Yeah, versus Corbyn, McGuinness and Sturgeon. Should be fun.

Comment

Working...
                      X