• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cameron in Europe - Good or Crap?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree, totally meaningless. Minor benefit caps are not going to cut migration significantly and the future may be worse. How long before they decide to admit Albania or Turkey?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Agree, totally meaningless. Minor benefit caps are not going to cut migration significantly and the future may be worse. How long before they decide to admit Albania or Turkey?
      Ah, Turkey will happen. I suspect the UK's support of them is due to encouragement from the US due to their strategic position in NATO. Germany is tired of all the cars driving round beeping their horns after football matches, but ultimately Germany defers to NATO's interests, having been naughty stepped by most of the world on 2 occasions.

Albania I shudder. The Albanian doormen at the Mandarin Oriental will give you a taste of what is on offer. BUPA seems to be mopping up all their nurses to compliment the Spanish ones they have installed at the Cromwell Hospital. The rest of Albania seems to be playing the shell game (3 balls & a cup) on Westminster bridge.

BBC 11:49 Boris Johnson to 'remain shtum' until PM reveals package

Actually this makes me shudder even more. Wave it elsewhere David.
      Last edited by clearedforlanding; 20 February 2016, 11:27.

Comment

Clearly nothing would have satisfied you kippers so your opinions are irrelevant really.

I'm a bit surprised about the child benefit thing as that's obviously one gripe a lot of people have. So that's a win. And although "ever closer union" is just words and doesn't mean anything in practical terms making it clear the UK can opt-out of it is a good symbolic gesture.

I think this may be enough to win over some of the undecideds, but he was never going to achieve immigration caps.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          And although "ever closer union" is just words and doesn't mean anything in practical terms making it clear the UK can opt-out of it is a good symbolic gesture..
          Have you read the wording?

Comment

What will you be doing on the 23rd of june?

EU referendum date announced - 23 June

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

At least you have a referendum.
              All the countries should have a referendum.
              But I have a feeling that UK will maintain in EU.

Comment

I think this may be enough to win over some of the undecideds, but he was never going to achieve immigration caps.
                It will lose many too. Much of the press will savage this deal in the coming months. Indeed, he was never going to achieve anything substantial; that wasn't his intention. The Bloomberg speech and everything since has been a PR exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  How long before they decide to admit Elbonia?
                  FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

Who is that bloke?

BBC had "Donald Tusk" as a caption whilst Cameron was speaking. Perhaps we can keep the EU but lose the BBC?
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Clearly nothing would have satisfied you kippers so your opinions are irrelevant really.

I'm a bit surprised about the child benefit thing as that's obviously one gripe a lot of people have. So that's a win. And although "ever closer union" is just words and doesn't mean anything in practical terms making it clear the UK can opt-out of it is a good symbolic gesture.

It's all just spin... .

While child benefit, as indeed any of the benefits issues are an annoyance I don't think they get to the core of the situation. Whether these benefits are limited to 1 year or 10 years, I think for many the core issue is the sheer volume of immigration and all that entails be it pressure on housing, schools, jobs, unrest, etc.

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                      At least you have a referendum.
                      All the countries should have a referendum.
                      But I have a feeling that UK will maintain in EU.
                      Agreed on all counts.

Comment

Working...
                      X