• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In or Out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    My view is biased as we have property in Spain, and I guess it will easier to flit between here and there while we are part of the EU, which is why an undecided sways to a stay in.
    Did Brits not have property in Spain before 1975?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
      DaveB - I am like indecisive Dave from the fast show. Give me a good argument to stay in and I will wobble like FLC on a plate... I get the upheaval that leaving would create but I think the money we waste on the EU will help to cover us. Lots more public sector jobs to be had as well if we make the move, think of the contracts that would be created!
      Corporations will still take the cheapest path to resource projects and if that means bringing in overseas workers, they will. All it will do is create more bureaucracy, costs will be passed onto the end clients.

Can't see any reason why more PS jobs would suddenly appear, especially given the current Governments commitment to cut public sector spending.

It will do nothing to address the issue of Non-EU migrants arriving. It won't suddenly make all those poor bastards in Calais disappear or stop them trying to get here.

It will make life harder for UK nationals who want to live or work in Europe.

It will make life harder for UK companies wanting to do business in Europe and reduce the Governments ability to lobby on behalf of UK PLC in Europe. Example - Norway is already in this situation. They are not part of the EU, but in order to sell to EU countries they still have to abide by EU regulations. They have no say over what these might be and no influence to change them if they are found to be excessive.

Yes we would save money through not contributing to the budget, but this relies on the money saved being reallocated back to those areas that actually get cash from Europe, especially in science and technology research where we get more back from the EU in grants than we contribute. The UK has a terrible track record of investing in this area and I have no confidence the money would be spent here rather than simply being trousered by the government and squandered elsewhere.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I thought an out vote would be that - out. No negotiations. Or do you mean negotiations in terms of how hard they want to bend us over for being quitters and trying to mess with their utopian super-power dream?
        I reckon it's the kick up the arse they (politicians) all need to start talking about meaningful reform. If we vote 'in' it's just an endorsement of the status quo. We know from past experience that countries will be forced to keep voting till the 'right' answer is given, so why not call their bluff and start proper discussions from a strong "we have a mandate to leave unless you actually start to sort your tulip out" position.

Comment

It's about sovereignty. That's what we fought two World Wars for. Anyone voting in deserves everything that will inevitably follow.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            It's about sovereignty. That's what we fought two World Wars for. Anyone voting in deserves everything that will inevitably follow.
            You've never lost it!
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              You've never lost it!
              Isn't the fact that we have laws foisted upon us without the ability to say no a complete lack of it?

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                Out. Then we can start the negotiations proper.
                You think we'd be able to opt-out of the eurozone if so? If the EU fails under the strain of the migrant crisis I expect it to be replaced with something more robust and not just EEA Mark 2. I can't see people near the Russian border being satisfied hiding behind a free trade agreement.

Comment

Isn't the fact that we have laws foisted upon us without the ability to say no a complete lack of it?
                  No different than any other EU state. The UK is not alone in the un-happyness.

The Italians are a good example of changing the EU where it suits them. A law is thrust upon them and they ignore it if it does not suit them.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                    You think we'd be able to opt-out of the eurozone if so? If the EU fails under the strain of the migrant crisis I expect it to be replaced with something more robust and not just EEA Mark 2. I can't see people near the Russian border being satisfied hiding behind a free trade agreement.
                    What happens then if the skilled Syrians (not all feckless refugees you know) fill the much needed skilled jobs Germany has to offer and therefore increases their economic wallop after the UK buggers off?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      No different than any other EU state. The UK is not alone in the un-happyness.

The Italians are a good example of changing the EU where it suits them. A law is thrust upon them and they ignore it if it does not suit them.
                      We don't have the attitude of the Italians though

Comment

Working...
                      X