• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"I read somewhere..."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Most likely to be the misogynist past of women having to over-achieve to get recognised rather than anything current.
    Not sure its over achievement. The greats are still streets ahead of most and they do seem to be male.

Now I'll accept men were more likely to do science but women were likely to write books but 'Pride & Predjuidice', Mrs Beaton & Frankenstein are about as good as it gets.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Historically, women were largely restricted to the domestic sphere, so less likely to achieve fame.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Historically, women were largely restricted to the domestic sphere, so less likely to achieve fame.
        or did they confine themselves to it?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          or did they confine themselves to it?
          Society and tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Society and tradition.
            Indeed but many of the greats ignored those completely which is what I remind my girls. Only You can make yourself great. society can have other ideas if it wants!

Comment

Indeed but many of the greats ignored those completely which is what I remind my girls. Only You can make yourself great. society can have other ideas if it wants!
              Women were considered men's property so were put in asylums or nunneries if they didn't behave the way the powerful man in their life wanted.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So taking art as an example - it was not considered appropriate for women to attend life classes. Your girls would have risked their reputations by doing so. As their dad, I doubt you would have been encouraging them. You would have been happy to encourage them to paint flowers. Unfortunately, flowers didn't really rate - largely because women painted them.

Things are different now - there are far fewer constraints. But if you (and your girls) were living in the 18th century, you would not have been encouraging them to push boundaries. It's a mistake to think you would have had your current attitudes had you been around back then.

Comment

Kim Kardashian is regarded by many young women as a role model. Nuff said.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Not sure its over achievement. The greats are still streets ahead of most and they do seem to be male.

Now I'll accept men were more likely to do science but women were likely to write books but 'Pride & Predjuidice', Mrs Beaton & Frankenstein are about as good as it gets.
                    Yeah, women write rubbish. Blokes like George Eliot, A. M. Barnard and the Bell brothers wrote much better stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
                      Yeah, women write rubbish. Blokes like George Eliot, A. M. Barnard and the Bell brothers wrote much better stuff.
                      Some dopey bird being squired by the local nobility who then desert them or ladies obsessed by a chaps britches are not quite the same as On the Origin of the species, The Prince or De revolutionibus orbium coelestium. All of which were written by people fighting convention and who seriously risked life & limb.

Comment

Working...
                      X