• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crackdown on personal service companies could raise £400m in tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Ah yes, that tried and tested way of reducing the tax take
    That would have been far better increase in tax than what Gideon did.

It's amusing to see some Tory supporters saying how it would have been worse under Labour - I guess that's what Gideon wants people to think, but the problem is that when Labour gets in (and it will get in at some point) then taxes would go further up - particularly on dividends, which I guess is academical since in a few years we'll be chatting on new forum: permieuk.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
      Even if they despised us, at least their incompetence would ensure the opposite was achieved.
      Labour were limited by what they can do because they did not want to look as anti-business party - tax on rich people is another matter, where as Tories are supposedly pro-business party so anything they do must be pro-business and it fooking ain't.

Watch out for CGT changes in new budget because really, does anyone on here believes that after taxing dividends more Gideon would allow people (like most on this forum) to take advantage of 10% ER?

Comment

Tory. Labour. No difference. Whoever is in government. Makes no odds.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Tory. Labour. No difference. Whoever is in government. Makes no odds.
          Course they're different. Tories are shafting the poor as well as the rich.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've said for years that HMRC/govt wanted to target all contractors, bring them under the PAYE net and eliminate them as competition to the big consultancies. The reply was always that the govt. only go after "tax dodging scum" and not "genuine" Ltd company contractors.

And another thing, before the election, almost everyone on this forum was intent on voting Tory.

So what happened?
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

They did vote Tory. Now they're upset that the Tory's tough line on the deficit has hurt the wrong people.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                They did vote Tory. Now they're upset that the Tory's tough line on the deficit has hurt the wrong people.
                Tough on the deficit, tough on the causes of the deficit...

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  And another thing, before the election, almost everyone on this forum was intent on voting Tory.

So what happened?
                  It isn't that simple. I think there was a reasonable expectation that the Tories would be less aggressive, although I doubt anyone was under any illusions about their poor record with small businesses and numerous broken promises (e.g. w/r to IR35). Labour were clearly making signals before the election campaign about operating strict deeming criteria, so anything from Labour would've been similar. Obviously, you don't get much more strict than a month (), but let's see what happens. Also, some of this was OBE after the election, as Labour moved so far to the left that Gideon was "forced" (or found it expedient - but we'll see about that, long-term) to adopt a strategy of taking over the "common" ground, as they call it. The failure on tax credits just added to the pressure. All politicians do whatever is necessary for their self-promotion but, if Labour were acting like a proper opposition, some of Gideon's current policies wouldn't be quite so expedient.

Obviously, none of this matters in 2020, and perhaps it won't matter long-term either. We're only talking about a few hundred thousand contractors (it depends on the extent to which any further changes impact the wider group of self-employed). That said, I certainly won't be voting Tory in future and I'll do whatever I can to make others understand their failings, for what that is worth (very little, realistically).

Comment

Some more analysis here - nothing new though.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                      I've said for years that HMRC/govt wanted to target all contractors, bring them under the PAYE net and eliminate them as competition to the big consultancies. The reply was always that the govt. only go after "tax dodging scum" and not "genuine" Ltd company contractors.

So what happened?
                      Don't blame me. I voted UKIP.

Comment

Working...
                      X