• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Official Labour leadership thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    Also, this slavish rhetoric of "I don't care if Labour would make things much worse, the Tories promised they wouldn't do this so I want to punish them" is just stupid.
    WHS - seems a lot of people's solution to having an annoying spider on your foot, is to take out a big 12-bore shotgun, take aim at the spider and pull the trigger.

Of course, having such leftie nutjobs in opposition means Osbourne can squeeze us a little bit harder, knowing that the alternative to voting Tory will be much, much worse.

Politics isn't about being the most attractive option possible - but about being more attractive than the alternative(s). Didn't Joey Barton say something like that on Question Time - and was lambasted for it.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
      It depends why each plumber increased their rate, and what would they do with the extra…if the original plumber decided to charge you the extra £50 because he needs to pay off his ex's credit cards, whilst the other expensive plumber charge you double but with the extra he will put it into improving benefits .. then yes I’d go with the £200
      FTFY
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
        To the average man in the street you would be hard pressed to justify why the highest rate of tax on employed income is effectively 47% (45% tax & 2% NIC), yet the highest rate on dividend income is currently 30.56% - I know about corporation tax but there is still a difference to explain to Joe Public.
        Joe Public had no idea about dividend tax credits, corpotation tax, dividend income. It still does not (other than big multinationals don't pay their corp taxes and/or VAT)

Say example (correct me if I am wrong - I am not accountant):

Profit: 1000
        Corp tax: 200 (20% - first year after very long very slow reduction in corp tax levels by Osborne touted as great for enterprise)
        Dividents: 800
        Tax on dividends: 244.48 (30.56% dividend tax)

So, that's 444.48 total tax, which is 44.44% vs 47% in your example. Pretty close already surely?

So it was marginally better than income tax (even with NI), now it's going to be heavier taxation overall - plus, what about other taxes on business? What about creation of employment?

Comment

If he can survive the first few months without making a complete arse of it he might actually do quite well.

Fantasy economics and promises of enfranchisement can work quite well at the ballot box, if he can make his pitch believable to the bulk of the electorate then I think he has a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
            WHS - seems a lot of people's solution to having an annoying spider on your foot, is to take out a big 12-bore shotgun, take aim at the spider and pull the trigger.

Of course, having such leftie nutjobs in opposition means Osbourne can squeeze us a little bit harder, knowing that the alternative to voting Tory will be much, much worse.

Politics isn't about being the most attractive option possible - but about being more attractive than the alternative(s). Didn't Joey Barton say something like that on Question Time - and was lambasted for it.
            He said something about choosing a party to vote for was a bit like choosing the least ugly girl in a night club and he got lambasted
            by some horrible po-faced feminazi girl in the audience who told him she was going to make his name dirt all over social media for being such a sexist bigot.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              If he can survive the first few months without making a complete arse of it he might actually do quite well.

Fantasy economics and promises of enfranchisement can work quite well at the ballot box, if he can make his pitch believable to the bulk of the electorate then I think he has a chance.
              Let us not forget how easy populations walk sheep like into governments that play out their own prejudices. All the things that Corbyn and his ilk are against hit the right chords worth a lot of people. Despite history and a total failure of any type of far left government being associated with anything other than disaster people will follow according to their emotions. Yes, Jeremy Corbyn
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

It is very telling that the SNP decided to make a statement on a second referendum the day after he got elected, the political equivalent of the wife putting on makeup again after she meets her husband's younger, more pretty secretary.

The SNP are masters of turning a back of the fag packet economic plan and grievance politics into a majority. They can see the threat the chap brings, he could easily half their quota of MPs.

Comment

When has a developed nation ever had a far left government?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    When has a developed nation ever had a far left government?
                    Which is why "developed" nations are "developed" so why would they?
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Labour closes gap with Tories by three points, new poll finds

The ICM survey for the Guardian newspaper shows a six point lead for the Tories, down from nine points in the previous survey conducted last month.

The opposition party’s rating increased by one per cent, with the Conservatives themselves down two per cent.
                      Get sneering! It's happening!! Panic!!!
                      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                      X