• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's quite a shame that UKIP can't actually take outright power

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tractor View Post
    The two main parties have a maturity of over 300 years. 300 years ago, here you could be imprisoned or executed for your politics or your religion by either of those two.

It is no surprise then that a new(ish) party may look cretinous but they don't have the history, neither can they in this day and age, imprison or execute their opponents. It will be a long haul for them to become mainstream but everyone has to start somewhere.

I don't agree with much of what they say and they do have a lot of hanger-on losers but I don't dismiss them out of hand because they are as a party, immature.
    The thing about Ukip is that although they may be a new party, the majority of their member and in particular those that actually hold a seat (whether it be local, regional, national or international) are primarily ex-Conservatives. Most of their policies are rehashed Tory and right wing policies so there is nothing new there. We had a new party some years ago which was created by Labour politicians because they thought Labour was too left wing (kippers probably think that about the Tories now) which didn't last long: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_...atic_Party_(UK) and is now amalgamated into the Liberals which is why they are now called the Liberal Democrats. Presumably this will happen with the Tories and the kippers so we'll get the United Conservative Independance Party...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Don't think I'd want UKIP in power but we know that is about as likely as a Martian invasion this time round. The real point in voting UKIP is tactical, to make the other parties feel threatened and modify their policies. We now have a Tory pledge on an EU referendum and Labour is apologising for previous laxity over immigration control. Would those have happened if UKIP was not around?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Euler View Post
        Oh I don't know, some people woul think a 6% unemployment rate and falling, the highest growth rate in Europe, a start made on improving the education system, to be a fair achievement by the Tories, hobbled as they have been by Clegg and his useless acolytes.
        What makes you think that's thanks to the tories, rather than the fact that we've just exited a massive recession?
        Or did you just make it up?

Comment

I've bet £10K on UKIP majority, that's £5M in my bank account, on it's way.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            I've bet £10K on UKIP majority, that's £5M in my bank account, on it's way.

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              What makes you think that's thanks to the tories, rather than the fact that we've just exited a massive recession?
              Or did you just make it up?
              And exactly how did we get of recession? Fairy dust? Ed Balls magic wand? Jeez...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                And exactly how did we get of recession? Fairy dust? Ed Balls magic wand? Jeez...
                Osborne's and Darling's spending plans 2010 - 2015 were actually pretty similar.

Comment

No VAT on tampons!! Vote UKIP!!!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I dont see how leaving the European union (while keeping Europe as a trading partner) can be bad.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      I dont see how leaving the European union (while keeping Europe as a trading partner) can be bad.
                      Being bound by the much-hated EU red tape, but not having any say in it.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X