• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Confused Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    Having lived abroad for some time, I can say this is the stereotype that all European citizens have about their immigrants.

All immigrants are poor, unskilled and undercut the local workforce, while "our" expats are educated, rich and benefit the land of destination.

While there could be some truth in it, it's still a stereotype. Politicians and the media love stereotypes. It makes their life so easy!
    the sheer quantity of citizens from recently joined countries or countries moving into the the various established countries sort of proves it.They can't all be brain surgeons.

If we had a total 100,000 imports or exports it would be a positive thing for the host country. Millions it becomes a bit of a challenge.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I don't understand this rampant desire to see complete equality in the EU.

I think Britain is large enough and important enough to drive for deals where we get the larger slice of the cake. I honestly don't see where the problem is with doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        the sheer quantity of citizens from recently joined countries or countries moving into the the various established countries sort of proves it.They can't all be brain surgeons.
        Actually they are. Many East Europeans come to Britain with a Uni degree and overall a much better education than our own yobs, only to work as a cleaner or fruit picker because it pays much more than being a doctor in their own country.

Same for the Brits. I've met British graduates working as slaves in expat bars and pubs in Eindhoven, because their qualifications were not accepted in the Netherlands.
        Last edited by petergriffin; 21 October 2014, 14:05. Reason: yobs
        <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          I don't understand this rampant desire to see complete equality in the EU.

I think Britain is large enough and important enough to drive for deals where we get the larger slice of the cake. I honestly don't see where the problem is with doing that.
          But how have successive governments achieved that? By threatening to leave the union. And has it worked? No.

It is obvious that at this point somebody in the EU would want to call a bluff.

UKIP have already achieved their goal of radicalising the choice between a full in or out of the union. Great if you are a UKIP supporter, but how can you honestly think that you can get "deals where we get the larger slice of the cake"?
          <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Same for the Brits. I've met British graduates working as slaves in expat bars and pubs in Eindhoven, because their qualifications were not accepted in the Netherlands.
            Probably because their "qualifications" aren't of any use in the UK either.

Comment

Actually they are. Many East Europeans come to Britain with a Uni degree and overall a much better education than our own yobs, only to work as a cleaner or fruit picker because it pays much more than being a doctor in their own country.
              Sorry but even in Eastern Europe a doctor earns more than a seasonal minimum wage worker. Plus, living costs over there are considerably less.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Sorry but even in Eastern Europe a doctor earns more than a seasonal minimum wage worker. Plus, living costs over there are considerably less.
                A Doctor in Russia earns about $200 a month believe it or not.

Russia's not EU tho so there's no escape...

Comment

Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
                  Probably because their "qualifications" aren't of any use in the UK either.
                  Exactly, qualifications are worth much less now than yesterday. You can be a brain surgeon, but if your line of trade is not in demand and you make more money by picking fruit abroad, you would emigrate, wouldn't you, unless you have a very wealthy family than can support you.

If I was allowed to work abroad and foreigners were not allowed in Britain, than I would have to compete with both the locals and my fellow expats.

Comment

Doesn't everybody read the Hail? Isn't the hail online the most visited English-language newspaper website in the world?
                    What they don't mention is that a large majority of those visitors are in the States, and are served a site with greatly differing content to that shown to the UK audience: much more local US news, cribbed from small-town newspaper sites, and generally a lot more like an American "supermarket tabloid" in tone.

Source: they managed to misconfigure things about a year ago, and served up the US site to the UK for an hour or two. I saw mention of it on Twitter and went to have a look. Rather odd to see the Mail Online front page entirely given over to stories about Tallahassee and Wyoming
                    Last edited by NickFitz; 21 October 2014, 15:26. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      What they don't mention is that a large majority of those visitors are in the Staes, and are served a site with greatly differing content to that shown to the UK audience: much more local US news, cribbed from small-town newspaper sites, and generally a lot more like an American "supermarket tabloid" in tone.

Source: they managed to misconfigure things about a year ago, and served up the US site to the UK for an hour or two. I saw mention of it on Twitter and went to have a look. Rather odd to see the Mail Online front page entirely given over to stories about Tallahassee and Wyoming
                      Part of the reason they got Piers Morgan on board was he's well known both sides of the Atlantic and controversial in the US due to his CNN programme. They also have an Australian site too which sometimes bleeds onto the UK site.

Comment

Working...
                      X