• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Confused Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    And just how many do you think there are? Most are probably on a gap year earning a few bob just to enable them to live. Aussies do the same here and have done for years and Brits work for peanuts in Australia. Eastern Europeans do it because it is their only route out of abject poverty . The brits on the other hand it is a lifestyle choice.
    What about Indians, Chinese and other far eastern peoples, Africans, etc.? I would have thought that the right would be all for letting in cheap workers as it allows them to make bigger profits without having to invest too much....
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Some interesting reading: FactCheck: the truth about immigration | The FactCheck Blog | The FactCheck Blog. So there are more immigrants, which I think that any sane person knew anyway, but are they hurting the economy?
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I assumed this was a thread on sexuality.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          What about Indians, Chinese and other far eastern peoples, Africans, etc.? I would have thought that the right would be all for letting in cheap workers as it allows them to make bigger profits without having to invest too much....
          It is not a question of "rights" anyway. It should be a question of economics and social desirability at the discretion of the population of whatever country is considering allowing foreigners to settle in their country.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            It is not a question of "rights" anyway. It should be a question of economics and social desirability at the discretion of the population of whatever country is considering allowing foreigners to settle in their country.
            I mean right as in not leftie! The answer to your statement was that, yes the UK should allow foreigners to settle in the UK as was decided by the population in their voting for their elected representatives to let this happen as it was deemed economically viable. You may remember, or not, that when those other 8 new countries joined the EU: the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia in 2004 most countries imposed temporary restrictions on migrant workers from those countries, but Britain, Sweden and Ireland chose to allow them full access to their job markets.

Comment

A bigger economy was supposed to mean profitable firms paying more tax. And more employment was supposed to push up income tax receipts, writes Phillip Inman

self-employed can’t ride to Osborne’s rescue

Self-employed people were billed as the cavalry, but turned out to be a mixed bunch of part-time call centre staff, agency workers and graduates optimistically breathing life into web-based start-ups.

Comment

Do they have a news website anywhere?
                The Daily Mail Australia to launch online in 2014 | Daily Mail Online

You probably need a proxy to get to it but the address is dailymail.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post

Is it news though?

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post

Some of the Aussies I've met are pretty bigoted. I remember my chauffeur from the airport telling me, unprompted, that Sydney was "full of poofs".

They'll love the Mail.

Comment

I mean right as in not leftie! The answer to your statement was that, yes the UK should allow foreigners to settle in the UK as was decided by the population in their voting for their elected representatives to let this happen as it was deemed economically viable. You may remember, or not, that when those other 8 new countries joined the EU: the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia in 2004 most countries imposed temporary restrictions on migrant workers from those countries, but Britain, Sweden and Ireland chose to allow them full access to their job markets.
                      it is about time we changed the rules.
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X