• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Confused Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    So they had "Hurrah for the Klu Klux Klan" rather than "Hurrah for the blackshirts"?

Just asking, like.
    You'll find that on the Express site.
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      What they don't mention is that a large majority of those visitors are in the States, and are served a site with greatly differing content to that shown to the UK audience: much more local US news, cribbed from small-town newspaper sites, and generally a lot more like an American "supermarket tabloid" in tone.

Source: they managed to misconfigure things about a year ago, and served up the US site to the UK for an hour or two. I saw mention of it on Twitter and went to have a look. Rather odd to see the Mail Online front page entirely given over to stories about Tallahassee and Wyoming
      Out of the goodness of my heart, I've just set up a proxy over in the States and grabbed the Mail front page: first as it appeared when loaded directly here in the UK, then via the proxy, meaning the Mail site thought I was in the US (North Virginia, to be precise):

Site served to UK users (PDF, 8.9MB)

Site served to US users (PDF, 7.6MB)

You're welcome
      Last edited by NickFitz; 21 October 2014, 15:27. Reason: quoted typo

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
        Having lived abroad for some time, I can say this is the stereotype that all European citizens have about their immigrants.

All immigrants are poor, unskilled and undercut the local workforce, while "our" expats are educated, rich and benefit the land of destination.

While there could be some truth in it, it's still a stereotype. Politicians and the media love stereotypes. It makes their life so easy!
        There is more than "some truth" in it. Very few people leave Britain to escape poverty and we should not be ashamed to say so. Romania and Britain for example are not two equal countries. I know the guilt ridden cowards on the left like to denigrate their own country in order to patronise the poor but I am afraid our policies should take full account of the strength of our civilised society.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Actually they are. Many East Europeans come to Britain with a Uni degree and overall a much better education than our own yobs, only to work as a cleaner or fruit picker because it pays much more than being a doctor in their own country.

Same for the Brits. I've met British graduates working as slaves in expat bars and pubs in Eindhoven, because their qualifications were not accepted in the Netherlands.
          And just how many do you think there are? Most are probably on a gap year earning a few bob just to enable them to live. Aussies do the same here and have done for years and Brits work for peanuts in Australia. Eastern Europeans do it because it is their only route out of abject poverty . The brits on the other hand it is a lifestyle choice.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

But how have successive governments achieved that? By threatening to leave the union. And has it worked? No.

It is obvious that at this point somebody in the EU would want to call a bluff.

UKIP have already achieved their goal of radicalising the choice between a full in or out of the union. Great if you are a UKIP supporter, but how can you honestly think that you can get "deals where we get the larger slice of the cake"?

The European model is broken.

If you can't see that by now...

Comment

Stone me, I lost the will to live before reaching the end of the UK one.
              I found it quite amusing that the one about Fergie was just a small item in the UK, but given the major story treatment in the US

Comment

So they had "Hurrah for the Klu Klux Klan" rather than "Hurrah for the blackshirts"?

Just asking, like.
                It's Ku Klux Klan or so I'm led to believe. And you an heducated lizard, too! FFS!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  It's Ku Klux Klan or so I'm led to believe. And you an heducated lizard, too! FFS!
                  He doesn't care. They pick on Giant Alien Lizards too.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    He doesn't care. They pick on Giant Alien Lizards too.
                    Doubt it, their leader is the Grand Dragon...

The clue is in the name.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                      Part of the reason they got Piers Morgan on board was he's well known both sides of the Atlantic and controversial in the US due to his CNN programme. They also have an Australian site too which sometimes bleeds onto the UK site.
                      Do they have a news website anywhere?
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X