• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calling all Fanbois!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPhone X is around a grand.

Seems they've done a Microsoft Windows and skipped version 9. Is there something up with the number 9 that we aren't being told?

How can they justify such a phone costing so much more than say a Moto G 5 or even the recent Nokias for closer to 100 notes? Oh the Apple brand tax, like putting four rings on a VW.

So yep, another non-Apple fan (though I do like my iPad 3 and classic iPod) that doesn't quite get it.

I'm still unhappy about paying 250 notes for a Nexus 5 only a few years ago, that they won't now update to latest Android, and has no easy battery replacement so need to charge it up more and more frequently as it ages. So very much like an Apple product. Mug punters all over the place with these tulipty 'smartphones' with built in obsolescence.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

Seems they've done a Microsoft Windows and skipped version 9. Is there something up with the number 9 that we aren't being told?
      I think Microsoft was to stop old code getting confused between windows 95 / 98 and windows 9

Apple is because it's the tenth year of iphone

How can they justify such a phone costing so much more than say a Moto G 5 or even the recent Nokias for closer to 100 notes? Oh the Apple brand tax, like putting four rings on a VW.
      exactly... the answer is simply "because people will pay it"

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
        ... the answer is simply "because people will pay it"
        At least the new phones have plenty of GB of storage space so the lack of an expansion port is almost moot.

In earlier iterations it was that that stopped me seriously considering ditching my iPod classic/smartphone combo for one device, when so many top brand phones are restricted to the amount of storage they include out of the box. All to try to force us to use their cloud storage or streaming service offerings at an additional subscription cost. Yeah that's really useful when you're somewhere with patchy or no wifi/3g coverage.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
          I think Microsoft was to stop old code getting confused between windows 95 / 98 and windows 9

Apple is because it's the tenth year of iphone

exactly... the answer is simply "because people will pay it"
          (1) People will pay it
          (2) A friend of mine had a Moto G5, worst phone ever (he said). In fact he's been through so many Android phones he may as well have bought Apple, but refuses to because they're "too expensive"
          (3) An Apple product that's "a few years old" will run the latest OS

I think Apple products are fair value because of their longevity and quality. Everyone I know with a Android phone is peed off with it because it won't update or has some bugs or issues. They all want an Apple but they scoff at Apple prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            (1) People will pay it
            (2) A friend of mine had a Moto G5, worst phone ever (he said). In fact he's been through so many Android phones he may as well have bought Apple, but refuses to because they're "too expensive"

I think Apple products are fair value because of their longevity and quality. Everyone I know with a Android phone is peed off with it because it won't update or has some bugs or issues. They all want an Apple but they scoff at Apple prices.
            On point 3 my mother in law until yesterday had an iPhone 4s. It got 5 years of OS updates (up to August 2016) which is about 5 years more than your average Android phone..
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                The latest model iPad Pro is much more powerful than even my big iPad Pro from a bit over a year ago.
                Yeah but he said tangible. Are there apps which only work on Pro - can developers even do that? It seems to me using an iPad for power/pro tasks is just using the wrong tool, you'd want a PC/Mac surely? A MS Surface or a MacBook are both very very slim these days.

iPhone X looks awful at first glance other than Qi.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  (1) People will pay it

Your mate wasn't the target market for a Moto G5 or any other cheap Android phone. I got one and passed it on to an older relation who is still happily using it.

Oh and I'm happy with my android phones. Some of my relations have changed from Apple to Android and are happy about it as well.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    I'll be getting myself the Apple TV 4K, as I've already got a fair amount of stuff for my existing one and (when the studio makes it available in 4K) that gets upgraded automatically at no additional cost

It'll be good when the Amazon Prime Video app arrives later in the year too - save me the trouble of using the one on the TV, which has terrible UI.

It's interesting that they've persuaded the big studios to let them sell 4K movies at the same price as HD - usually around £13 for brand new releases, but rapidly dropping to £6 - £10. Just a day or two ago I read some article asserting that Apple wanted to charge $20 but the studios wanted to charge $30 a pop and were reluctant to budge, but it looks like that was about as reliable as virtually all speculative punditry about Apple
                    Nick have you had a look at the VPN options on the AppleTV? Wondering could it be used in Spain for accessing UK content if I connect it to the VPN on the Mac Server back home?
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

So yep, another non-Apple fan (though I do like my iPad 3 and classic iPod) that doesn't quite get it.

I'm still unhappy about paying 250 notes for a Nexus 5 only a few years ago, that they won't now update to latest Android, and has no easy battery replacement so need to charge it up more and more frequently as it ages. So very much like an Apple product. Mug punters all over the place with these tulipty 'smartphones' with built in obsolescence.
                      The EU wants to pass a directive banning built in batteries but we will be out of the EU by the time that gets through...
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X