• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calling all Fanbois!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    What you doing with your old AppleTV when you get the 4K
    I've got an older TV which has been feeling left out

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Seems they've done a Microsoft Windows and skipped version 9. Is there something up with the number 9 that we aren't being told?
      I've seen it said that companies skip it because it sounds like "No" in German

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I've seen it said that companies skip it because it sounds like "No" in German
        I believe it was because a lot of software checks for the version of Windows that it is either running on or being installed on and similar to the Y2K problem it only checked the first number which means a Windows 9 could be mistaken for Windows 9x...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

iPhone X hailed as huge step forward in pointless things to dick about with

iPhone X to include revolutionary arsehole recognition technology
          Taking a break from contracting

Comment

I think the point that is lost on most of the guys that don't like Apple or never watch the presentations is just how advanced the processors have become now. In a few years they have designed their own chips and are more or less in a place where they will be able to replace the PC and all its stupid clunk.

Hype aside what they are not discussing is how much smarter those new phones are than the guys standing in line to own one. When a vendor starts using the words neural, network and mobile device and AI level learning we are in the early stages of "I can't let you do that dave..."

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I've got an older TV which has been feeling left out
              So you have more TV's then we have as a family - 1 in the front room only...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                If it is based on iOS I am hoping I can install the profile config on it, just need to get my hands on one to play with
                This might help

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202577

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post

Hype aside what they are not discussing is how much smarter those new phones are than the guys standing in line to own one. When a vendor starts using the words neural, network and mobile device and AI level learning we are in the early stages of "I can't let you do that dave..."

That's all well and good, until you're in a situation it can't handle/understand where you think calling for help would be a good idea and the phone saying "I can't let you do that dave...", when your name isn't even dave.

Dumb phones with calls, txt, and internet capability FTW.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

That's all well and good, until you're in a situation it can't handle/understand where you think calling for help would be a good idea and the phone saying "I can't let you do that dave...", when your name isn't even dave.

Dumb phones with calls, txt, and internet capability FTW.
                    How about a phone that can use its filterers to monitor the blood flow in your face and warn you of dangers that are invisible to the naked eye... In coming years it may spend a month triaging you for your upcoming heart attack before you even know you have a problem...

Its interesting that they are moving into Heart Health with the new version of Watch OS as well.

Add to that stream processing of voice characteristics and the phone is likely to be a better diagnosis device than your GP...

Comment

That's all well and good, until you're in a situation it can't handle/understand where you think calling for help would be a good idea ...
                      If you're capable of talking then it's not an issue. You just need to say "Hey Siri emergency"

(BTW if you try that, you have 5 second to cancel the call from going through, so I'd suggest NOT testing it unless you are at your phone and can hit cancel)

Siri is voice recognition software and will respond to the owner's voice. As long as the phone is switched on, it will recognise the voice even if it's locked.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X