• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jemb View Post
    and all those examples were a long time ago in a world without anything like the Global markets we have today.

..... my main gripe with the Yes campaign is its inability to recognise the considerable pain that would follow a Yes vote and their total and abject failure to address the issues years ago.
    I kind of agree. But while the No campaign spreads fear, at least the Scottish government has a plan:

Comment

Originally posted by jemb View Post
      and all those examples were a long time ago in a world without anything like the Global markets we have today.

..... my main gripe with the Yes campaign is its inability to recognise the considerable pain that would follow a Yes vote and their total and abject failure to address the issues years ago.
      I don't think the Yes campaign have said there would be no pain.

A lot of the problems with uncertainty in the markets is to do with Westminster refusing to make contingency plans or even contemplate that the Yes side could win. We could have had a grown up debate if both sides had agreed a few things that would happen in the event of a Yes vote but the No side just refused and preferred to go the Project Fear route.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post

A lot of the problems with uncertainty in the markets is to do with Westminster refusing to make contingency plans or even contemplate that the Yes side could win. We could have had a grown up debate if both sides had agreed a few things that would happen in the event of a Yes vote but the No side just refused and preferred to go the Project Fear route.
        Whether that is true or not we are going to hear that continually when you lot vote YES...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

But the Yes campaign has said that in the absence of a CU:

1. Sterling is an asset to be shared
          2. Scotland can therefore renege on its share of the national debt.
          3. Scotland will adopt sterlingisation.
          4. Scotland can do 2 and 3 and stay in the EU.

As 1 and 4 are patently untrue, we must assume that the Yes campaign is not being straight about the pain.

Comment

Westminster has stated that there will be no CU - so at least there is clarity there. The BoE has stated that, in the event of a 'Yes', they will stand behind Sterling in Scotland during the transition period.

The trouble is that the 'Yes' campaign refuses to engage on the impact of No CU, a section 49 entry into the EU or any of the other legitimate questions that are placed before them.

I asked my local SNP MSP what pain there would be here. He said a few banking jobs, less than 500 across Scotland. Bonkers.

Comment

But there can be no debate in the yes team. How would that work when there are opposing views being held by the different factions ?
              The only strategy is the one they have adopted, squash debate, present a united front, promise everything to everyone, leave it all till after thursday. That way, every faction and every voter can dream.
              dream of power, dream of free money , dream of coming out on top.
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                But there can be no debate in the yes team. How would that work when there are opposing views being held by the different factions ?
                The only strategy is the one they have adopted, squash debate, present a united front, promise everything to everyone, leave it all till after thursday. That way, every faction and every voter can dream.
                dream of power, dream of free money , dream of coming out on top.
                Politically, that is a sound strategy.

Comment

BTW, The NATO Sectary General has made it clear that Scotland would have to reapply to join. I can easily the US and UK insisting that keeping Trident in Scotland is the price for that. So Potentially we're looking at an Independent Scotland, with its interest rates set in London, it's spending vetoed in Westminster and it's dreams of being Nuclear free dashed. If that's being independent........

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
                    BTW, The NATO Sectary General has made it clear that Scotland would have to reapply to join. I can easily the US and UK insisting that keeping Trident in Scotland is the price for that. So Potentially we're looking at an Independent Scotland, with its interest rates set in London, it's spending vetoed in Westminster and it's dreams of being Nuclear free dashed. If that's being independent........
                    on top of that, they will offer intermittant wind powered lekky and demand a guaranteed 24/7 supply in return. er.. fook right off
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
                      I think it's unlikely but there is precedent: Treaty Ports (Ireland) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Working...
                      X