• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    The nationalists claim that there will be a CU when there clearly won't be one is laughable.
    So, you believe that assertion from Cameron/Osborne then ?
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      They'll use the pound. And no one the rUK can stop them.
      They'll need more than one.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        They'll use the pound. And no one the rUK can stop them.
        True and of course nobody in rUK would want to stop them as it's CU which is problematic. But then they probably won't be using the same currency as Scotland (assuming Scotland wants EU membership which is probably incompatible with sterlingisation).

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The thing is that it may not require going through parliament.

Say the outcome from Orkney and Shetland is a 60%+ no vote on the 18th and rUK decide that as part of any negotiations one redline is that they remain part of rUK. How would you get round that...
          There is only one referendum and all votes will be counted to give either a yes or a no. The Edinburgh agreement makes it legal and both sides have agreed to accept the vote.

Comment

The Mash is on the money as always.

Salmond still not sure what he means by

Salmond still not sure what he means by ‘independence’
            08-09-14

SNP leader Alex Salmond has admitted he has never been entirely sure what he means when he says ‘independence’.

Scotland’s first minister revealed he has always thought of independence as a ‘play within a play… within a dream’.

He said: “Well, it’s a concept, it’s an idea, it’s a thing.

“In my mind I see it as a tree in the shape of Scotland. Does that make sense?”

Salmond said the idea of independence involving things like a currency and a central bank, was ‘very left brain’, adding: “How would you even do that?”

He said: “I think once independence is here I’ll have a much better idea of what it is.

“Any other questions?"

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Orkshet as you call it has had no interest in independence. Things may well change if Scotland becomes independent. Orkshet has legitimate claims to independence that other parts of Scotland do not have (I see you are neatly trying to put them all into the same category)

Your feeble attempt to set a rule according to the behaviour of the SNP and to spuin the Islanders into the same camp as say Aberdeen won't work.
              Jeesus H Christ, again.

OK, In order to hold a referendum, they would have to have some kind of constitutional method of making it happen.

It's like in Westminster, someone calls for something, the house votes against it, it doesn't happen, the house votes for it, it does.

Is that simple enough ?

I'm not saying it won't happen, what I'm saying is they don't have the constitutional means to make it happen, at the moment.

You could demand that your MP calls for a referendum on making agents exempt from Income Tax. Unless he can persuade the house to vote with that, it's won't happen.
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I bet David is wishing he agreed to having the 3rd option on the ballot paper now. 'Devo Max'

Wonder if he'll resign if the vote does not go his way.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  Yes I do, you on the other hand are a complete fookin fantasist.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    The SNP suddenly came up with a CU demand (anyone remember when it was first raised?) and all the party leaders of mainstream UK parties have rejected it. It's nuts and nobody believes it - not even the SNP. So on this occasion, I believe Cameron and Osborne. It won;t happen, no matter how much Salmond demands it. And the Panama Plan B is probably incompatible with EU membership - although I still eagerly await your view on this.

Comment

That's nice. Out with those nuclear weapons, out with governments we never elected. Sometimes I think I'm going to pop with excitement.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X