• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Jeesus H Christ, again.

OK, In order to hold a referendum, they would have to have some kind of constitutional method of making it happen.

It's like in Westminster, someone calls for something, the house votes against it, it doesn't happen, the house votes for it, it does.

Is that simple enough ?

I'm not saying it won't happen, what I'm saying is they don't have the constitutional means to make it happen, at the moment.

You could demand that your MP calls for a referendum on making agents exempt from Income Tax. Unless he can persuade the house to vote with that, it's won't happen.
    Of course it hasn't happened because they are happy at being part of the UK. The prospect of being ruled by the Scots may trigger a movement for independence and provided it goes through all the tiers of bureaucracy they will have a case as strong as Scotland has. I suspect however that the Scots will howl and whine in the same way they are accusing the No campaign of behaving.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Honestly it's not an issue for me. And that's me speaking with two properties in Scotland whose combined value is over £500k. So I've a lot to loose. But are they going to be valued at less than £300k, 200k less in a years time? I don't think so.

There's far more important things needing attention in Scotland than currency. Poverty being an important one. An independent Scotland is going to use the power to start with. A change will only come later, as much as it was like when Ireland went independent.

I think it's far more disconcerting to GBP when 5 million less people stop using it.
      So in the absence of CU (i.e. sterlingisation), do you think Scotland will be refused admission to the EU as it doesn't have a currency / central bank?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        That number of people is less than the population of Greater London. So no-one cares.
        So why is the English media getting all humty about it? What currency will you use? If no one cares why keep banging on about it?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Sterling will be fine in the absence of a currency union.
          Check your Bloomberg news feed.

Sterling is not fine today off the back of a poll suggesting independence is possible.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

So why is the English media getting all humty about it? What currency will you use? If no one cares why keep banging on about it?
            Does the Scottish media not mention currency?

Comment

Sterling will be fine in the absence of a currency union.
              I don't think it will without the oil revenues and other Scottish income to help pay off the debts. That's why I think they will agree on a CU depsite saying the polar opposite at the moment. That's a strategy to try and frighten Scots to vote no.

Comment

So in the absence of CU (i.e. sterlingisation), do you think Scotland will be refused admission to the EU as it doesn't have a currency / central bank?
                If, and a big if, Scotland wants EU membership, it'll get it. I've spoke to a number of Germans here and the reply is 'of course Scotland will get back in'

But I don't think Scotland will be in a hurry to get back in. Scotland has more to give than loose / seed control to the EU (fishing rights in the north sea etc).
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Out with those nuclear weapons.
                  It makes me a laugh when I hear Salmond talking about the cost of the Trident programme .... when of course a large chunk of the money is spent within Scotland and comes from the entire UK tax base.

Out with Governments you've never elected? Well my boy you are in for a shock. I didn't think you wanted to live in a one-party-state? You might well find that you are living under the rule of a party that you didn't elect. That's democracy for you.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    Check your Bloomberg news feed.

Sterling is not fine today off the back of a poll suggesting independence is possible.
                    Check your logic.

Sterling is not fine today because of the uncertainty caused by a poll suggesting independence is possible. Currency markets don't like uncertainty. It does not follow that sterling suffers in the absence of a currency union.

Comment

Does the Scottish media not mention currency?
                      The Scotsman is a unionist paper. There's several articles about independence today, not one of them on currency.

Comment

Working...
                      X