• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jemb View Post
    if you YOU lose your job then it'll be the end of the World.

We're all lucky we can find a job south of the border (assuming we're allowed in). The people who will pay for this adventure will be the people who will not be able to find work. I guess they can watch the Presidential Salmond/SNP motorcade sweep by.

This isn't Braveheart, this is people's lives and a period of 'hardship whilst Scotland transitions' will be tulip for the poor sods who have to suffer it.
    Where is the compassion in that?
    On the one hand, I do sympathise with these sort of concerns, as democracies are merely a form of the "one-size-fits-all paradigm, so even that 49% that voted to remain would be bound by the decision of the 51% that did not; one wonders if they would be allowed to break away and reunite with the UK, or form their own autonomous entity? Probably not. On the other hand, it is basically a recipe for lethargy. What's funny is how many yanks forget that their nation spawned out of a rebellion against and secession from the British crown. I can only imagine the level of hysteria that would pour out of the MSM and the "establishment" today if such a thing were to be contemplated.

It's also the same mentality that keeps the banks in this country on life support, when they are arguably out of all proportion with what an intermediation sector would be in a healthy economy. Jobs may be lost if we don't all cough up and prop the banks up, but equally this deprives other sectors in the economy of the resources flowing to the banks. There's no solution to the issue that would not leave some parties dissatisfied, particularly within the confines of a majoritarian democratic system, however what would you suggest that Westminster do? It would still be stuck with a province of the country that is highly divided and even resentful towards the London political establishment.

Basically, it's in the Scots' best interest to ensure that if secession does go ahead, Salmond isn't in charge, so that someone with a clearer idea of how to maintain economic competitiveness post-secession is in charge. I don't think Scotland would necessarily become uncompetitive, but if the whole idea is to just fund everything with oil money, that is rather fanciful and vainglorious.
    Last edited by Zero Liability; 8 September 2014, 18:43.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      You mean my sister that's got terminal leukaemia ?

You're funny as **** you. Any time you want to meet up in Glasgow to discuss it further, please feel free to let me know.

Dick.
      You been drinking?

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        You mean my sister that's got terminal leukaemia ?

You're funny as **** you. Any time you want to meet up in Glasgow to discuss it further, please feel free to let me know.

Dick.
        Dick is a nice name, although if I were you I'd sign my name Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
          On the one hand, I do sympathise with these sort of concerns, as democracies are merely a form of the "one-size-fits-all paradigm, so even that 49% that voted to remain would be bound by the decision of the 51% that did not; one wonders if they would be allowed to break away and reunite with the UK, or form their own autonomous entity? Probably not. On the other hand, it is basically a recipe for lethargy. What's funny is how many yanks forget that their nation spawned out of a rebellion against and secession from the British crown. I can only imagine the level of hysteria that would pour out of the MSM and the "establishment" today if such a thing were to be contemplated.

It's also the same mentality that keeps the banks in this country on life support, when they are arguably out of all proportion with what an intermediation sector would be in a healthy economy. Jobs may be lost if we don't all cough up and prop the banks up, but equally this deprives other sectors in the economy of the resources flowing to the banks. There's no solution to the issue that would not leave some parties dissatisfied, particularly within the confines of a majoritarian democratic system, however what would you suggest that Westminster do? It would still be stuck with a province of the country that is highly divided and even resentful towards the London political establishment.

Basically, it's in the Scots' best interest to ensure that if secession does go ahead, Salmond isn't in charge, so that someone with a clearer idea of how to maintain economic competitiveness post-secession is in charge. I don't think Scotland would necessarily become uncompetitive, but if the whole idea is to just fund everything with oil money, that is rather fanciful and vainglorious.
          This is totally sensible.
          DevoMax, real DevoMax, is maybe the best compromise?

Comment

jeez - you guys don't take any prisoners......
            To be fair to TM, Brillo is a prick.

Comment

This is totally sensible.
              DevoMax, real DevoMax, is maybe the best compromise?
              Not if you want an independent state it isn't.

Comment

if you YOU lose your job then it'll be the end of the World.

We're all lucky we can find a job south of the border (assuming we're allowed in). The people who will pay for this adventure will be the people who will not be able to find work. I guess they can watch the Presidential Salmond/SNP motorcade sweep by.

This isn't Braveheart, this is people's lives and a period of 'hardship whilst Scotland transitions' will be tulip for the poor sods who have to suffer it.
                Where is the compassion in that?
                Losing your job isn't the end of the world.
                People have lost jobs for years up until now - AS PART OF THE UNION - and people will continue to lose their jobs whether Scotland is independent or not.
                And as for "a period of hardship", the last few decades in Scotland haven't exactly been wine and fewkin roses in case you hadn't noticed.

Have you ever stopped to consider that becoming independent might just the chance to build a better Scotland?

Comment

The reason why its not been wine and roses is because we have had to deal with the legacy of bobble-eye Brown , his ending of boom and bust and the massive debt he left behind.
                  dont get me even started on PPI. OR Blair

these criminals were jocks. If thats what you really , really want. fine.
                  Plus Salmon doesnt look much better.
                  The people who ran these parties used to be the cream of the working class. Now we get the dregs of the middle class
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
                    Losing your job isn't the end of the world.
                    People have lost jobs for years up until now - AS PART OF THE UNION - and people will continue to lose their jobs whether Scotland is independent or not.
                    And as for "a period of hardship", the last few decades in Scotland haven't exactly been wine and fewkin roses in case you hadn't noticed.

Have you ever stopped to consider that becoming independent might just the chance to build a better Scotland?
                    People lose their jobs all the time, but the "a period of hardship" will make things worse. Scotland currently has the highest employment rate of the four countries in the United Kingdom - so it's not been too bad.

You're a contractor, have you struggled over the last few years? No - didn't think so (assuming you aren't rubbish of course).

It's not US that'll lose jobs it'll be the poor sods like the guy with a sandwich shop on Lothian road who'll have no one to sell buns to once the bank pi55 off down south. It'll be the small company that goes under during the " period of hardship".

Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
                    Duh.Duh Duh! Of course, and it doesn't stack up for me. Sorry.
                    Head before heart I'm afraid. I have three kids and "a period of hardship" isn't really an option.

The UK is forecast to be Europe's largest economy by 2030. Frankly I'll skip the shortbread tin view of my homeland for the reality of jobs as opposed to the dreamland of Salmond's Currency Union

Einstein was right - Nationalism is an infantile disease.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                      The reason why its not been wine and roses is because we have had to deal with the legacy of bobble-eye Brown , his ending of boom and bust and the massive debt he left behind.
                      dont get me even started on PPI. OR Blair

these criminals were jocks. If thats what you really , really want. fine.
                      Plus Salmon doesnt look much better.
                      The people who ran these parties used to be the cream of the working class. Now we get the dregs of the middle class
                      The decades I was referring to were Maggie's Golden Age, long before Brown and Blair ever met.
                      Scotland wasn't alone, there's many across England found themselves in the same situation.

It's worth noting that Scotland had been fairly evenly split between Labour and Conservative voting up to that point, thereafter the Conservative fell off a cliff.

Comment

Working...
                      X