• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am fairly sure that it will be the euro to get into the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      Yes I do, you on the other hand are a complete fookin fantasist.
      OK, thanks for your input. Back to drinking heavily and pretending you're oirish now, is it ??
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        That's nice. Out with those nuclear weapons, out with governments we never elected. Sometimes I think I'm going to pop with excitement.

I agree that it's going to be fun to watch if it happens. But the currency, my friend, the currency. What are you going to do?

Comment

When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

The nationalists claim that there will be a CU when there clearly won't be one is laughable.
            There will be. The CITY will not allow the currency to be battered by refusing the currency union.

Comment

I am fairly sure that it will be the euro to get into the EU.
              I don't think so, and certainly not on day 1 as there's too much to do to qualify for membership.

My guess is that Scotland will be in the EU, and will be allowed to join the Common Travel Areas and introduce it's own currency. I can't see how it can be allowed in the EU without a central bank in the absence of CU - i.e. sterlingisation is not a goer.

The only possible fly in the ointment is if Spain (and perhaps France) wants to put off Catalonia and the Basque Country, by being difficult and insisting on EMU and Schengen. But I assume that the heavies of the ECB will sort Spain out.

Comment

Originally posted by Underscore Pt2 View Post
                There will be. The CITY will not allow the currency to be battered by refusing the currency union.
                Sterling will be fine in the absence of a currency union.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  I agree that it's going to be fun to watch if it happens. But the currency, my friend, the currency. What are you going to do?
                  Honestly it's not an issue for me. And that's me speaking with two properties in Scotland whose combined value is over £500k. So I've a lot to loose. But are they going to be valued at less than £300k, 200k less in a years time? I don't think so.

There's far more important things needing attention in Scotland than currency. Poverty being an important one. An independent Scotland is going to use the power to start with. A change will only come later, as much as it was like when Ireland went independent.

I think it's far more disconcerting to GBP when 5 million less people stop using it.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Sterling will be fine in the absence of a currency union.
                    Even the minor change in the polls showed thats not correct. The City does not want Scotland to be outside of Sterling. Impact on markets would be huge.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

I think it's far more disconcerting to GBP when 5 million less people stop using it.
                      That number of people is less than the population of Greater London. So no-one cares.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X