• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

World war 3 now imminent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Well, if you have no issue with the UK selling weapons to middle-eastern leaders to be used on civilians, and you see no issue in the civilians having no means of safety, then what is your reason for saying that attack Assad is the right thing to do?

Note, I am not saying Assad is a good man, I am trying to understand the logic of those who are supporting Trump’s desire to have a war.
    I'm in exactly the same boat. My observation is that Trump has always been against war which explains his criticisms of the whole 'disaster' since going into Iraq. He campaigned on ending overseas military adventures and spending the money instead on MAGA.

But the MIC/deep state etc are pulling him toward it and making him prove that he's not a Russian plant so it looks like he's flip-flopping between trying to keep them happy and trying to keep to his original mandate of making deals instead of war.

I've read that over the last few days (not going to post the links - CBA, and not worth the effort) that:
    • Canada, Germany and Italy have all ruled out any involvement in military strikes
    • Assad & Hezbolla have moved all their military assets and personnel to Russian bases
    • Russia have deployed 11 ships to patrol the med (previously docked in Syria bases)
    • The US/Russia deconfliction line is extremely active
    • Macron (who seems to be really pushing this for some reason) apparently has evidence that Assad was behind the latest chem attack.
    • UN OPCW inspectors arrive on Saturday to carry out an inspection that will lead to another woolly inconclusive report

So they might let us bomb a few empty bases to save face and keep up appearances - if at all.

But to keep the armchair neocons barking here are some quotes from AP on the latest story (if the thread doesn't get locked then deleted before I get a chance to click 'submit reply'):

https://www.apnews.com/a607ede3a8db4...trike-decision

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis warned such an attack carried the risk of spinning out of control, suggesting caution ahead of a decision on how to respond to an attack against civilians last weekend that U.S. officials are increasingly certain involved the use of banned chemical weapons. British officials said up to 75 people were killed.
    Although Mattis noted that military action carried risks, he also emphasized that Syrian use of chemical weapons should not be tolerated. And he insisted it remains U.S. policy not to be involved directly in Syria’s civil war.
    Mattis said that although the United States has no hard proof, he believes the Syrian government was responsible for Saturday’s attack. Initial reports indicated the use of chlorine gas, possibly in addition to the nerve agent Sarin. Trump’s ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, told NBC News on Thursday the administration has “enough proof” of the chemical attack but was still considering its response.
    Rep. Adam Smith, the ranking Democrat on the House Armed Services Committee, said he sees no legal justification for a U.S. strike in Syria, absent explicit authorization by Congress. More broadly, he doubted the wisdom of bombing.

“Until we have a more long-term strategy, until we have some idea where we’re going in Syria and the Middle East, it seems unwise, to me, to start launching missiles,” said Smith, D-Wash. “We need to know where that’s going, what the purpose of it is before we take that act.”
    Russian lawmakers have warned the United States that Moscow would view an airstrike on Syria as a war crime and that it could trigger a direct U.S-Russian military clash. Russia’s ambassador to Lebanon said any missiles fired at Syria would be shot down and the launching sites targeted — a stark warning of a potential major confrontation.

At the House hearing, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii, disputed Trump’s legal authority to act without congressional authority and suggested a U.S. strike would lead to war with Russia.

“I’m not ready to speculate that that would happen,” Mattis said.
    Make of that what you will.

For some extra mouth-foaming here is an article about the infighting going on between Bolton and Mattis.

Financial markets seem to be shrugging it all off - which I see as the most reliable indicator of how serious this all is/isn't.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      I'm in exactly the same boat. My observation is that Trump has always been against war which explains his criticisms of the whole 'disaster' since going into Iraq. He campaigned on ending overseas military adventures and spending the money instead on MAGA.

But the MIC/deep state etc are pulling him toward it and making him prove that he's not a Russian plant so it looks like he's flip-flopping between trying to keep them happy and trying to keep to his original mandate of making deals instead of war.
      I agree. it may also be two other things:
      1. Defence contractors are twisting his arm to get more business, and just like he caved in to the NRA, he caves in to them as well. He will increase the budget on defence to buy new "smart" missiles that he can tweet about.
      2. Neocons love wars. It keeps the population subdued and allows them to pass more draconian laws on monitoring the citizens, removing freedoms, and whipping up the racists into voting for more of the same. Tell a racist that a bad thing is somehow linked to a foreigner and they are happy in their bigoted hatred, even if the link is so tenuous or completely false, that's irrelevant, they will deny anything which contradicts them.

Tell a racist that the UK sells weapons to Assad or Bin Salman and they'll say it's just good business, who cares that they are used on civilians. Suggest to the racist that the civilians being targeted by the same weapons would like to live peacefully in the UK and suddenly it's a crisis.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        I agree. it may also be two other things:
        1. Defence contractors are twisting his arm to get more business, and just like he caved in to the NRA, he caves in to them as well. He will increase the budget on defence to buy new "smart" missiles that he can tweet about.
        2. Neocons love wars. It keeps the population subdued and allows them to pass more draconian laws on monitoring the citizens, removing freedoms, and whipping up the racists into voting for more of the same. Tell a racist that a bad thing is somehow linked to a foreigner and they are happy in their bigoted hatred, even if the link is so tenuous or completely false, that's irrelevant, they will deny anything which contradicts them.

Tell a racist that the UK sells weapons to Assad or Bin Salman and they'll say it's just good business, who cares that they are used on civilians. Suggest to the racist that the civilians being targeted by the same weapons would like to live peacefully in the UK and suddenly it's a crisis.
        He definitely changed his tune on defense spending when he got into the WH and saw the spreadsheets. It's all quite telling of where the real power is over there and how much a president can/can't do.

Also agree on the racists being anti-refugees. If they don't want them here then they need to stop the situation that brings them here.

We've taken everything from those people and owe them far more than safe haven. If the powers that be want to actually do something about the root cause of terrorist ideology then they need to get their snouts out of the arms business trough.

We can dream... Or vote labour
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Trump said he would pull out and pull back from the brink, then chemical warfare started and that then brought Trump back to the Brink.
            Last edited by vetran; 14 April 2018, 17:50.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

That is The End of the World News

No, the BBC is not reporting the end of the world - BBC News

<sing> We'll meet again </sing>

Comment

Mods!
                  Now that Trump has cancelled World war 3 , could you please lock this thread?

Ta muchly.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

1 Thessalonians 5:3 King James Version (KJV)

3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                      Mods!
                      Now that Trump has cancelled World war 3 , could you please lock this thread?

Ta muchly.
                      Putin didn't say anything about canceling ww3 and he's a much bigger threat than fat boy Kim

Comment

Working...
                      X