• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Indian agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evilagent View Post
    With regards to accents, the same has been proven scientifically for the birmingham accent.
    (in that it illicits no confidence in the speaker)

god/allah/buddha (delete as applicable) help you if you are a "bob" from brum.
    I'm from the West Midlands and every time someone asks me where I'm from and then says "Wow, you don't have much of an accent" I breathe a sigh of relief.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      I'm from the West Midlands and every time someone asks me where I'm from and then says "Wow, you don't have much of an accent" I breathe a sigh of relief.
      Bostin, innit?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Bostin, innit?
        No

Comment

I tell them straight "I don't work for Indian companies" ... One guy couldn't believe what he heard, he repeated what I said (with a ? ). I said yes bad hung up.

It's rude I know, but I worked in a sweat shop (offshore Indian IT) for 6yrs. Women are treated unfairly, women paid less for the same role, horrible politics, man eats man world, absolute slavery (work day of 10hrs is a norm, 12 hrs is quite common), lack of ethics or even basic manners. Yes, they ask you to relocate and you have to.

Comment

Originally posted by evilagent View Post
            With regards to accents, the same has been proven scientifically for the birmingham accent.
            (in that it illicits no confidence in the speaker)

god/allah/buddha (delete as applicable) help you if you are a "bob" from brum.
            There are no Bobs in Brum (unless their Mothers called them Robert, or they've got a visa, obv)
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
              I tell them straight "I don't work for Indian companies" ... One guy couldn't believe what he heard, he repeated what I said (with a ? ). I said yes bad hung up.
              I'm never apply for them and just refuse once I hear the name. Prime example is some work up in Newcastle at the moment skill-set says £425, max offered £265....

Oh and this is for "security cleared"...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I'm never apply for them and just refuse once I hear the name. Prime example is some work up in Newcastle at the moment skill-set says £425, max offered £265....

Oh and this is for "security cleared"...
                Yep. I had something similar. Same sort of rates. SC role (mine has expired). Rate was not great. No chance of getting someone I thought.

So they lopped £50 off (getting close to £250 now) and said they'd put me through SC. Hmmm. To be honest role was good, even if rate wasnt, it was local, and I thought do for 6 months and get SC back and then bail out.

In the end, they must have got someone dull enough to do it with current SC.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

The problem with refusing to work with Bob consultancies/agencies is that it plays straight into their hands.

They don't give a tulip if the end clients project is done on time or not. They can say "We advertised the role. No takers. Now we can get more off-shore staff in".

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                    The problem with refusing to work with Bob consultancies/agencies is that it plays straight into their hands.

They don't give a tulip if the end clients project is done on time or not. They can say "We advertised the role. No takers. Now we can get more off-shore staff in".
                    That's fine by me - it'll go full circle and eventually clients will be sick to death of dealing with off-shore failures.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                      That's fine by me - it'll go full circle and eventually clients will be sick to death of dealing with off-shore failures.
                      The problem is that a lot of large companies don't actually know they are being ripped off. They've got rid of almost all their in-house technical capability and tried to compensate by loading themselves up with "Process" to make up the shortfall.

They've long ago lost the ability to judge how long a task should take. 30k to make a one-line change to a stored procedure? No problem at all. Where do I sign?

Comment

Working...
                      X