• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting out of a contract early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flyboy1973 View Post
    I expect some professionals may flame me for my intention to jump and run
    FTFY

Devil and deep blue sea.....
    .... is a phrase that has no real relevance to your situation.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Hold on, I have no intention of moving without an offer and a contract in my hand. - oh right, so you're not a complete tosser then...

On the rest, I'll stand with the professionals: consider yourself flamed, & hopefully shamed by your intentions. No guts, no balls, no integrity.
      Clarity is everything

Comment

HI,

I suspect I will get a 'better offer' of another contract this week however I have just taken a new contract on and it has a 4 week notice period. Anyone know how I can get out of it earlier, say a week?
        How soon is 'just' - can you go for 'as the contract is not what expected' agreeing to leave without invoicing for work done?

Comment

All Noted....

Comment

All Noted....
            You need to do what is best for you, not others. Lots of 'professional' opinions on here but in truth, those same posters who have handed it to them from the client belly ache and roll over. Clients/agents pull the stunt on contractors commonly so don't feel bad or pressurised by your so called 'virtual peers'.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Excercise your right to substitution and subby in some other mug into your role, and take half his rate
              It will either work out well in which case you get 50% of the rate ontop of your new rate for a few months, or it will work out bad, in which case you still get 50% of the rate, but not for very long

Comment

There are a lot of people flaming this guy without knowing the full picture and putting his position into perspective.

How would you feel if you had been out of work for over 2 months? You too would be keen to get back into a contract soon, surely, even if it meant travelling and staying away?

Then, what if you have a family, and working/living away from them is proving difficult - and then a contract comes up commutable from home and is paying 40% more? Suddenly you can cut your costs, earn more, improve your standard of life and be with your family again.

Professional or not, a good businessman and a good family man would be foolish to turn down such an opportunity. As MF says you must look after yourself and your family first.

I would, however, always be upfront and honest with the client. Personally, I have been fortunate to land better roles at the end of existing contracts, but I have made it clear to those existing clients that I won't be renewing. It's good business to leave doors open for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  There are a lot of people flaming this guy without knowing the full picture and putting his position into perspective.

How would you feel if you had been out of work for over 2 months? You too would be keen to get back into a contract soon, surely, even if it meant travelling and staying away?

Then, what if you have a family, and working/living away from them is proving difficult - and then a contract comes up commutable from home and is paying 40% more? Suddenly you can cut your costs, earn more, improve your standard of life and be with your family again.

Professional or not, a good businessman and a good family man would be foolish to turn down such an opportunity. As MF says you must look after yourself and your family first.

I would, however, always be upfront and honest with the client. Personally, I have been fortunate to land better roles at the end of existing contracts, but I have made it clear to those existing clients that I won't be renewing. It's good business to leave doors open for the future.
                  This is very true but we also can't be seen to be condoning it either. The OP should look after himself but also know what he does isn't very professional. He wanted our opinion and he got it.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

Try reading what us professionals are actually saying. It's not about taking the new contract if it's the right thing to do, it's about how you manage leaving the existing one. We're saying the OP must talk to the client and discuss the options and either offer a subbie or accept some unpaid work time. The OP's attitude was very much "How do I get out now?" and not "How do I best manage an early termination?".

Personally, having had to spen unscheduled time and money recovering too many projects where unprofessionals have left without warning or notice, I'm not that sympathetic to people who think they have a right to do it. There's always a graceful exit, it's up to you to find it.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

HI,

I suspect I will get a 'better offer' of another contract this week however I have just taken a new contract on and it has a 4 week notice period. Anyone know how I can get out of it earlier, say a week?
                      I recall a situation I was in not so long ago. I worked for a Blue Chip Auditing company and was coming to the end of my contract. The client wanted to keep me on, but was carrot baited into another offer that was for more money. On the afternoon when I walked out of the contract from the Blue Chip company, I got a phone call from the agent telling me that the new contract was canned. I was furious and told the agent that. Ok, I got some money out of the agent and also salvaged the contract at a lower rate, but wasn't happy about it. Just remember, the grass isn't always greener.
                      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                      X