• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting out of a contract early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    You need to do what is best for you, not others. Lots of 'professional' opinions on here but in truth, those same posters who have handed it to them from the client belly ache and roll over. Clients/agents pull the stunt on contractors commonly so don't feel bad or pressurised by your so called 'virtual peers'.
    Must say I agree with MF here. At the end of the day, like he says, clients/agents will do it you if it suits them.....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Must say I agree with MF here. At the end of the day, like he says, clients/agents will do it you if it suits them.....
      And when it happens to you, how annoyed do you feel?

Two wrongs don't make a right.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

A contractor on a previous contract went sick for a month and then just didn't turn up.

He wasn't the most popular person for that and he burnt his (otherwise excellent) references because of it.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          So it hasn't even been offered yet. What are you, some kind of superhero?

FFS, take a bit of resopnsibility for yourself. Go talk to the client and see what they say. Or find a subbie. Or give 4 weeks notice, and tell your "new" client that's when you can start. Then negotiate if the job is still there.

You've agreed to sell your skill and expertise to some purpose. You can't leave gracefully without gviing notice. How hard is that to understand? You want to get out of that commitment, either run away like a five year old or try and limit the damage you're going to cause. Both are bad, one is seriously less bad than the other. But don't come on here looking for advice; the only advice you'll get that means anything is to finish what you've contracted to do
          Yes, take a bit of responsibility for yourself, but don't take this advice. You need to think like your client (any client) does. The "contract" (any contract) isn't really worth the paper it's written on as despite what it may say, there's always a way out of any contractual "obligation" for either party.

What you need to do is understand when the moment that the situation you're in isn't working for YOU, you do whatever it takes to makes the situation right, for YOU. You can take the above advice and be a doormat, or you can stuff everything (and everyone) else and look after No.1.

It's a dog eat dog world out there, sunshine, and face it, if you don't look after yourself no one else will.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Personally, having had to spen unscheduled time and money recovering too many projects where unprofessionals have left without warning or notice, I'm not that sympathetic to people who think they have a right to do it. There's always a graceful exit, it's up to you to find it.
            You know, you can be one of the ones complaining about the "unprofessionals" who jump ship to higher paying contracts, or you can be one of the "unprofessionals" who jump ship to higher paying contracts!

Comment

Perhaps people like the OP should consider each role properly instead of jumping into the first contract that comes along when they have been on the bench for 8 weeks or so?

8 weeks on the bench is sweet fa in the scheme of things. If you have to take a role after such short time, whether for money or 'just wanting to be back in the saddle' shows an incredible lack of foresight and planning imo.

Seems too many contractors jump from the frying pan into the fire at times. Just mvho though.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                You know, you can be one of the ones complaining about the "unprofessionals" who jump ship to higher paying contracts, or you can be one of the "unprofessionals" who jump ship to higher paying contracts!
                Or I can be one of the ones who gets high paying contracts first time round and doesn't need to jump ship?

I really don't actually care that much, except to provide a bit of perspective. One man's "be a hero and look out for yourself" is another man's "selfish irresponsible git". The reality is somewhere in between.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If you have a contract at the moment, it means that every single day you are getting slightly more than you would have if you were a perm.
                  On your end this is offset by the bench time (hopefully still a net win for you) but on the client's side they are paying a little more in exchange for higher skills and professionalism and ability for them to let you go easily (but not the other way around, of course).
                  If they are not getting that, what are they paying you for?
                  Also try to get that new awesome role interview sooner rather later and tell them you can start in 4 weeks, and maybe read up on the new project in your spare time, if they can't wait for someone for 4 weeks, they probably don't manage the projects very well.

Comment

Depends if you think you ever want to go back there to work...if not, then I would hand notice in and go.

Comment

Working...
                    X