• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is London commutable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is London commutable?

I have an interview arranged with a company that is 2 stops on the tube from Euston. I live 5 mins drive from Wilmslow train station.

Train time from Wilmslow to Euston: 1hr 55ish
    Train time from Euston to Wilmslow: 1hr 47

I checked out the costs involved and it wouldn't be too bad on any contract paying over 425/day as you could get the 1st class traveller deal after doing 8 round trips on FC.

Anybody tried it?

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I have an interview arranged with a company that is 2 stops on the tube from Euston. I live 5 mins drive from Wilmslow train station.

I checked out the costs involved and it wouldn't be too bad on any contract paying over 425/day as you could get the 1st class traveller deal after doing 8 round trips on FC.

Anybody tried it?
    That exact route? I would say anything over 3 hours round trip is too much for me. Unless it's crazy rate.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

Anybody tried it?

Sounds like getting up at 5 am everyday, I reckon you won't be doing it every day for long. Still you can probably B&B for a couple of nights a week. I would have though you be best coming back once or twice during the week.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Sounds like getting up at 5 am everyday, I reckon you won't be doing it every day for long. Still you can probably B&B for a couple of nights a week. I would have though you be best coming back once or twice during the week.
        Does sound like a decent option for a role paying up to 500/day. The speed of the trains these days makes that commute a possibility.

Comment

Also anybody tried the Virgin Traveller club? Is it worth it? How is the service like in the morning? Good food? Comfy ride?

Comment

Why 5 am? Say you start at 9:30 get up 2 hour commute 30 mins to get dressed etc, 7:00 am rise.

Comment

I used to spend 3 hours a day on the road - did it for 2 years. 4 hours by a train - no changes - would be ok.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Is it even possible to find a decent B&B in London, i.e. one that is clean and doesn't cost the earth?
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  Is it even possible to find a decent B&B in London, i.e. one that is clean and doesn't cost the earth?
                  I have a friend of mine in Park Royal who I can stay with pretty much whenever. So a good way to save money there.... Only problem is it is a 35 min tube away.

Comment

I've routinely commuted Bath to Paddington and on to the City, whic is two hours fifteen each way for me. It's not nice but working on London rates and sleeping in my bed in rural Somerset is a good compromise. Used to get up at around 5:30 to walk the dog before setting off at 6:15 but I'm one of those irritating people that only needs five hours kip a night...

Depends to some extent on the role. I used to leave work around half four and do the reading and email catch-ups on the train.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X