• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What counts as a good (daily) rate these days?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C/C++ with embedded, linux, unix and windows, and over 20 years
    2008: £320 per day
    2009: £240 per day
    but its better than £0 per day

and yes I've had a permie job paying more than this
    Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 24 August 2009, 13:23.

Comment

I just took a 3rd line role for 170 a day and now found out the agent is taking 295 a day... The Bloody Cheek!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
        C/C++ with embedded, linux, unix and windows, and over 20 years
        2008: £320 per day
        2009: £240 per day
        but its better than £0 per day

and yes I've had a permie job paying more than this
        £240, that`s less than my newbie contractor rate back in July 2003 as a teaboy......

Comment

My rate is over Euros 500 p/d and given the current exchange rate, that's probably over 500 quid.

Mind you, I'm not in the UK so that probably doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by utrinqueparatus View Post
            I just took a 3rd line role for 170 a day and now found out the agent is taking 295 a day... The Bloody Cheek!!!!!!

Agent gets £125 = 73.5% markup = 42.4% margin

That's outrageous on your rate.

Are you 100% sure the figure you've been given isn't from a permie trying to wind you up? (I might have done so when I was permie.)

Is the VAT included on one, but not the other? (Although that would still make it 33.8% markup)

You definitely need to be looking at a big rate increase on renewal.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Put it this way the rate the clientco are paying is as certain as if i saw it with my own eyes... (shhh i did )

Yeah tell me about it, It will definitely be an increase my rate or I walk moment

Comment

Originally posted by digerido View Post
                I've heard about these rates, £500 £600 even £700 + per day. Can people honestly earn this amount?

For the past 10 years I have had to constantly re train, pass exams and gain the qualifications just to get the £250 £300 per day Infrastructure jobs, if I'm lucky

Someone enlighten me please what roles command such rates?
                I am on £700 / day.
                I have a Master in Financial Engineering.
                And work on implementing pricing models in Interest Rate derivatives.

Comment

Originally posted by moromou View Post
                  I am on £700 / day.
                  I have a Master in Financial Engineering.
                  And work on implementing pricing models in Interest Rate derivatives.
                  So you signed-up and dug out a 10 month old thread just to tell us that?

Anyway I've only got a BSc but my rate is higher than yours. So there

Comment

Originally posted by DocP View Post
                    Suggestions?
                    30% than 2007...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X