• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is amusing though when you get the latest emails from the IT Job Board and one role has the words in its description:
    Candidates with evidence of their successes in development, in terms of testimonials or references, will be considered ahead of others
    In other words either
    a ) This job doesnt exist and I am blatantly fishing for leads or
    b ) This job does exist and I am still blatantly fishing for leads - if you dont give me a lead I wont put you forward.

The words "bargepole, stick" came to my mind as I dump the mail in the wastebin. Oh and it was an agency that comes up on here very often (<coughs>regressive<coughs>), who I wont touch with a stick or bargepole anyhow.

Comment

Another blatant fishing call from a pimp working for a well known subsidury of the Ajilon Group.

"I have a high paying gig with a major media company in London. Wont bore you with the details of the spec but it all matches your CV. Can't tell you who the client is but they told me they want someone in the top 5% of their field. They want proof that you are up to the job and in demand so if you could give me some references of clients you have been approached by recently....."

Or words to that effect!

Wouldnt tell him who I have prospective gigs with there and then so he then asked if I could supply any references of people I have worked with in the past.

All terribly urgent since he is apparently seeing the client tommorow morning and needs to show them the references!

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        That is (with respect fellow dodgy ) complete boll**ks. New Cvs with fresh references are much easier to exploit than trawling through databases looking for names. Putting the words "test manager" does not give you a list of line managers who have actively recruited in the last year. Such a search gives you people with "test" and "manager" on their CVs which is entirely different. The consultant then, having run the search has to sort out the line managers from those that once "managed to pull a bird" or "managed to get out of bed on time". Once that task has been completed it is then highly likely that the CVs are 2-200 years out of date and the "manager" is elsewhere.

Agents will always go for for the path of least resistance, and the chances of picking up a requirement from a line manager who is about to lose someone, who's name and telephone number are readily available are far greater than digging out names from an out of date database.

Fishing for references and sales leads is a key part of many sales agents KPIs.

Greetings fellow dodgy!

Our DB is inhouse written so searches tend to be more on point. LinkedIn is also another excellent hiring manager name provider.

Granted the practice may still go on (reference manager name gathering) but my point was that their are better (ethical) alternative's.

Happily after a decade of IT recruitment I can rely upon my trusty network so I have to admit to being a bit out of touch with current practice.
        I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by Another Dodgy Agent View Post
          Greetings fellow dodgy!

Our DB is inhouse written so searches tend to be more on point. LinkedIn is also another excellent hiring manager name provider.

Granted the practice may still go on (reference manager name gathering) but my point was that their are better (ethical) alternative's.

Happily after a decade of IT recruitment I can rely upon my trusty network so I have to admit to being a bit out of touch with current practice.
          underhandedness

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            underhandedness
            That as well!
            I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by Another Dodgy Agent View Post
              Greetings fellow dodgy!

Linkedin .. everyone is using it, which now means that anyone of any value to recruiters who is being inundated with calls is steering well clear of it.

The practice of using references is the best and most up to date way of gaining sales leads. In house databases are at best 1% up to date with information.

You may have your own portfolio of clients and contacts but the use (sorry abuse) of references is the quickest way to find leads for most especially new recruiters. The majority of the most successful managers now integrate the exploiting of references into the KPIs of your average recruitment consultant.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I refuse Linkedin invites from people I don't know and all of the invites from agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  I refuse Linkedin invites from people I don't know and all of the invites from agencies.

Happily I was invited and 'linkedin' to my contractor friends.

Comment

Fiver

Been in thie IT game since 84 - so I have heaps of leads - sorry references.

Mind you - it will cost you a fiver - a pop.

Just PM me for the dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      Another blatant fishing call from a pimp working for a well known subsidury of the Ajilon Group.
                      I'm working for a well know subsiduary of Ajilon just now and they have been hassling me for ages to provide 2 years worth of references, I told them to contact my previous agencies, they are still hassling me even though my contract is being extended and the client could not give a toss about references. I wonder why they want them, hmm.

Comment

Working...
                      X