• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a fair cop, only the first couple and last couple pages, then did search thread. Mea culpa if I got the intent wrong?

Comment

Actually, if they have landed me a contract I am not that bothered about handing over 'references'. Quid pro quo and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
        Actually, if they have landed me a contract I am not that bothered about handing over 'references'. Quid pro quo and all that.
        Correct. I'll throw them any contacts where I wouldn't return.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by CompulsiveArsonist View Post
          Got a call from G2 Recruitment (or some name like that) fishing for references.

Apparently their "client" wants them to submit references along with the application so I couldn't be put forward without them.

I refused to give references, saying that he was welcome to contact the previous agencies to validate my contracts, but I will not disclose names of anyone until after an interview.

First the agent tells me that the client is building a new algorithmic trading system, later on at the end of the call after I refused to give references I ask who the client is again and he responds with "Google"
          Arrgh my turn today! Minding my own business and got a call about a role I'd applied to nearly a month ago. Lots of small talk until I start getting a bit impatient because she's told me nothing about the role as yet and now wants me to talk her though a typical day in my current role. I don't think so. I get her to cut to the chase and tell me about the role and client and she reads through the spec I was originally sent. Then the punchline. The client has requested two technical references before he will interview. And why is this? 'because he has been burnt before'. Errr..ok. I make my apologies and my lady is completely astonished that I would refuse to hand over refs when I have the possibility of being submitted for the role. She tells me they are different from other agencies and they take their contractors out for lunch. Tempting, but it's still a no from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
            Arrgh my turn today! Minding my own business and got a call about a role I'd applied to nearly a month ago. Lots of small talk until I start getting a bit impatient because she's told me nothing about the role as yet and now wants me to talk her though a typical day in my current role. I don't think so. I get her to cut to the chase and tell me about the role and client and she reads through the spec I was originally sent. Then the punchline. The client has requested two technical references before he will interview. And why is this? 'because he has been burnt before'. Errr..ok. I make my apologies and my lady is completely astonished that I would refuse to hand over refs when I have the possibility of being submitted for the role. She tells me they are different from other agencies and they take their contractors out for lunch. Tempting, but it's still a no from me.
            Ah lunch...

An early contract many moons ago, client informed the project was being wrapped up - had been mooted we'd be extended as the project was intended to increase in scope.

Agency pimp visited - first time we'd ever seen him. Cockney wideboy, pin-striped suit. An absolutely stereotype.

Meeting in a room, he and the other contractor. "Yeah, guys, client's told us you've done an amazing job. Extensions will be offered.." Full of utter bs. Not even sure why he came out of that, maybe his DNA meant he had to lie in every single circumstance. His phone buzzed, "sorry lads, have to take this call. I'll be back next week, I'll take you both out to lunch".

Never saw him again, funnily.

Comment

Cool story Bro....
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Took a call from a recruiter today, wanted two references for the bank he is representing. Told him I had current SC clearance and the client could have references after I get an offer.

I don't expect to hear back about that.

The recruiter also didn't seem to know what TDD was, and I had to explain IR35 to him.

Comment

Originally posted by MrStu View Post
                  Took a call from a recruiter today, wanted two references for the bank he is representing. Told him I had current SC clearance and the client could have references after I get an offer.

I don't expect to hear back about that.

The recruiter also didn't seem to know what TDD was, and I had to explain IR35 to him.
                  I had to explain what "Gee-U-Eye" was today. Yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by 7specialgems View Post
                    I had to explain what "Gee-U-Eye" was today. Yeah.
                    Sequel server - the second one.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Forget two now it's three

Today I had a call for role, they can't tell me who the role is for.

Oh and they needed Three technical references. Last time I gave a technical reference, as my mate was willing to take the call for a laugh, the recruiter kept him on the line for almost an hour

Comment

Working...
                      X