• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Did it also list his ability to use the search function
    He works ?

I thought posting to CUK was the primary function.

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
      Aston Carter in London have been the worst agents I've dealt with during my contract search.

I was naive back then and told their agent's the names of a few of my old managers. After which I never heard from them again.

I will never use them in the future. Fecking cowboys.
      100% agree!! And Kite Consulting!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        You know there are other more effective ways you can make contacts with people.

I've seen agencies in action and I have to say harassing some random IT bod is a waste of you time when the company has an HR.
        It's one of many new business tactics. It works, so will always be done. Of course there are lots of ways to win business but references is one of the better ones so why would an agent stop doing it?

Comment

Teksystems again. Spent 25 minutes on the phone and they finish asking for references. said no. Then they send me this email:

In accordance with the Employment Agencies Act 1973 and Conduct of Employment Agencies Act & Employment Businesses Regulations 2003 - Regulation 19, Allegis Group is required to confirm that you consent to submittal of your details (CV, work references, etc.) to the client named below for the purpose of obtaining work.
          So I looked up what I suppose is article 19

Confirmation to be obtained about a work-seeker
          19. Neither an agency nor an employment business may introduce or supply a work-seeker
          to a hirer unless it has obtained confirmation—
          (a) of the identity of the work-seeker;
          (b) that the work-seeker has the experience, training, qualifications and any
          authorisation which the hirer considers are necessary, or which are required by law
          or by any professional body, to work in the position which the hirer seeks to fill; and
          (c) that the work-seeker is willing to work in the position which the hirer seeks to fill.
          So reading (b) above do they actually have a point?

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            Teksystems again. Spent 25 minutes on the phone and they finish asking for references. said no. Then they send me this email:

So I looked up what I suppose is article 19

So reading (b) above do they actually have a point?
            What does references have to do with (b)

If I lie on my cv, I'm risking up to ten years in jail for fraud. All I'm going to tell them from now on is the agencies that I was with for the previous two gigs because that's all they need to know.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

If I lie on my cv, I'm risking up to ten years in jail for fraud. All I'm going to tell them from now on is the agencies that I was with for the previous two gigs because that's all they need to know.
              "any authorisation which the hirer considers are necessary"

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Because (b) says they need to check on the experience before submitting, which can be confirmed by checking references provided

Comment

I'd have been sorely tempted to fire back, stop with the bulltulip, you're just phishing for references you slimy tw*ts!

As we are mostly professional on here (and PC when he tries ) I'd simply state you get the refs after interview stage when I provide to client as well. Not until.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                    I'd have been sorely tempted to fire back, stop with the bulltulip, you're just phishing for references you slimy tw*ts!

As we are mostly professional on here (and PC when he tries ) I'd simply state you get the refs after interview stage when I provide to client as well. Not until.

qh
                    This.

Always happy to operate on a quid pro quo basis.

Given that we only need to supply verification of our last contracts, then agency details is fine. If that kills off their fishing then I'd recommend more do that.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Not sure if this has been mentioned (couldn't really be bothered to sift through the multitude of older posts) but I find if a recruiter is not prepared to reveal who their client is after the initial first 20-30min conversation then it's more than likely the role is fake and they're just priming you for their references pimp tactics.

Had quite a few of these over the past month with at least 2 recruiters getting pretty irate that I wouldn't reveal any references. Told them bluntly why I am not prepared to provide them with any given that they wouldn't even disclose their client in confidentiality. Complete time wasters.. It's obviously a tough time in the market for these snakes right now and they're getting desperate for this info, seeing people like me who have recently been made redundant and fairly new to contracting as easy prey for the info they crave.

So sorry to disappoint.

On the flip side of the coin I have actually been dealing with one or two very helpful recruiters and head-hunters who seem to actually play nicely and conduct their business in a much more professional manner. Rare breeds these though unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                      X