• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the important thing to remember is not to cut off your nose to spite your face.

I have a fairly keen sense of being able to detect when an agent is on a fishing expedition so I normally politely but firmly cut to the chase by asking whether the call is about a specific role and, if so, where is the client based and maybe request some specifics about the role.

Often, at this point, the agent will come back with something non-specific; e.g. "we've got a number of roles in the pipeline at the moment" or words to that effect.

It is at this point that I suggest, again politely, that they get back in touch once they know the specifics and 9 times out of 10 they will acquiesce.

It's not hard really

Comment

Originally posted by The Janner Miss Tanner View Post
      I think the important thing to remember is not to cut off your nose to spite your face.

I have a fairly keen sense of being able to detect when an agent is on a fishing expedition so I normally politely but firmly cut to the chase by asking whether the call is about a specific role and, if so, where is the client based and maybe request some specifics about the role.

Often, at this point, the agent will come back with something non-specific; e.g. "we've got a number of roles in the pipeline at the moment" or words to that effect.

It is at this point that I suggest, again politely, that they get back in touch once they know the specifics and 9 times out of 10 they will acquiesce.

It's not hard really
      All very well, but I still don't see a need to offer any references until an offer is on the table.

Perhaps i am misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
        All very well, but I still don't see a need to offer any references until an offer is on the table.

Perhaps i am misunderstanding what you are trying to say.
        I read it as "please stop bothering me about sales leads until you have a contract lead for me. Once you get me the gig, I'll be far more inclined to acquiesce to your request."
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Got a call from an agency that I never heard of before. Young guy offers ne a very senior role...intersting. Little and generic info in the job, he mentions the client name.

I am rather puzzled and googled the client. Look what: the client publishes the same role on the web and provides a junior hr contact. Agent says he is a "provider" for the client.

Looks all monkey business to me, but perhaps the agent is genuine...maybe sometimes relationship compensate for doing what is otherwise illogic? Dunno

Comment

Originally posted by gixxer View Post
            Got a call from an agency that I never heard of before. Young guy offers ne a very senior role...intersting. Little and generic info in the job, he mentions the client name.

I am rather puzzled and googled the client. Look what: the client publishes the same role on the web and provides a junior hr contact. Agent says he is a "provider" for the client.

Looks all monkey business to me, but perhaps the agent is genuine...maybe sometimes relationship compensate for doing what is otherwise illogic? Dunno

Why not call the HR guy directly?

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
              Why not call the HR guy directly?
              Because I suspect, given how junior he is, he does not have any authority and the agency owner could be a "buddy".

Comment

Because I suspect, given how junior he is, he does not have any authority and the agency owner could be a "buddy".
                Then ask for the HR director. When asked what is you are calling about, say positively "Human Resources of course!"

*If it is indeed a senior role, then a senior HR person will have no problem fielding it. Talent acquisition is part of their job description.

Comment

Some companies do publish roles on their website and when they get no takers use an agency.

There are however, HR people who know how to search CVs on job boards. So when they find no takers for the role on their website or haven't bothered to put it there, they search for candidates themselves.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    I read it as "please stop bothering me about sales leads until you have a contract lead for me. Once you get me the gig, I'll be far more inclined to acquiesce to your request."
                    In a nutshell, yes.

It's not just the references thing, I just have no time for flannel and I tend to nip it in the bud as soon as my highly tuned radar detects that I'm about to waste 5 minutes of my life.
                    Last edited by The Janner Miss Tanner; 22 January 2016, 09:25.

Comment

Originally posted by The Janner Miss Tanner View Post
                      In a nutshell, yes.

It's not just the references thing, I just have no time for flannel and I tend to nip it in the bud as soon as my highly tuned radar detects that I'm about to waste 5 minutes of my life.
                      Depends what mood I'm in. If I'm on the DLR, I'll happily waste 15 minutes of their life with the added bonus of it making me feel like my journey is going quicker. Then, just before the money shot, sorry, got to go, heading underground
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X